Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH TV - Sky Channel 191

Options
  • 02-11-2014 8:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

I never heard of this lot till I accidently stumbled across it just now while flicking through the Sky channels looking for something far removed from Ireland's Fittest Family just starting on RTÉ 1. Sky Channel 191.

There's a programme on now called Wexord County Matters and this is followed by Wicklow County Matters, then its Fermanagh's turn. After that its the Foster & Allen Show at 8 o'clock followed by Kildare County Matters at 9. It seems like a cross between watching Nationwide, a home made tourist promotion video to appeal to returning emigrants and the televisual equivelant to the community notices in the local rags.

The ad breaks were full of Country & Western has beens flogging CDs. Like the dodgy looking characters you see in small town markets with a stall down the end of the street polluting the peace and quiet with their rubbish over a dodgy amp.

I can't help feeling that these programmes are aimed at a generation of Irish people of a particular vintage (many living abroad) and of whom the digital age has passed by. Nothing wrong with that at all and I wish IRISH TV the best of luck. Its great to see a forgotten and often neglected generation catered for.

But you'd have to wonder how much of a future it has if its core audience are in their golden years. Who is behind it and more importantly, do they show anything decent that might appeal to people between the ages of 6 and 66 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

http://www.irishtv.ie/

Irish TV is Ireland’s newest and most exciting live digital media platform.

Broadcasting 24 hours a day, IRISHTV.ie is all about connecting Irish communities all over the world and bolstering Irish businesses everywhere.

Irish TV promotes Ireland as a wonderful place to live in, to do business and to visit.

Advertisement