Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus from Cork to Portlaoise (Athlone or Tullamore)

Options
  • 02-11-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

There used to be a Buseireann bus from Cork to Portlaoise, it was the Dublin (airport) bus I think that stopped in Portlaoise... it was discontinued a while ago...

My daughter needs to make that journey a couple of times a year but now it's a nightmare as I have to go to Limerick to drop her off & pick her up... (from near Moate\Athlone) or else it's almost a 5 hour journey now by bus!

I've looked & looked for a private bus that stops in Portlaoise but can't find one... I think there must be one as it's on the main route to Dublin... please can anyone help??

PS I know that there's a train that goes that route but it works out way more expensive...!
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

M and A coaches from Portlaoise to Cashel, to connect with the BE bus to Cork.

Seems to be a tie up with BE as well.

Link

Mind you, booking the train a month in advance looks a cheaper option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

The train would be simpler, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

www.a-b.ie is your man ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is your daughter a student? 21 euro return fares are available if she is and has valid college ID.

You can get return fares for 30 euro return (adult) 22 (child under 16) if booked 2 or 3 weeks in advance.

All from Portlaoise. Much cheaper as its on Cork route and online fares are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

As others have said, BÉ abandoned Portlaoise - South servcies. 12/12X Limerick - Dublin has also followed a similar pattern of reduction of intermediate stops, and removal from Portlaoise is (IMHO) only a matter of time. If you try and buy a Portlaoise - Cork ticket on the BÉ website and it actually offers 12/12X to LIMERICK, then 51 to Cork!!! Of the others, Aircoach did call at Portlaoise at first, but pulled it due to "lack of use". The fact that Dublin - Portlaoise was charged the same as Dublin - Cork may have had something to do with it, but the company claimed otherwise in correspondance with them.

Train is now the only real offer Portlaoise - South.

If you are at Moate / Athlone, train via Portarlington is also possible (but awkward) - but to cut costs you should buy a ticket to Portarlington then another onward, as IE seldom offer cheap tickets across different radial routes (Portlaoise - Galway vs Portarlington - Galway being an example I am aware of).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I am just wondering - what would be the easiest way getting from Cork to Athlone by public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    I am just wondering - what would be the easiest way getting from Cork to Athlone by public transport?

See post #4...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

tv3tg4 wrote: »

See post #3...

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

The frequency of the buses from Cork isn't great. If I got the train from Dublin train from Cork - would there be a stop I could get off and get a bus to athlone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

You could see is there a option to change at Portarlington for Westport/Galway services which serve Athlone (all train)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

you could change at Portlaoise and get a connection from there to Portarlington and connect to Athlone. Might be simpler to change at Heuston though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Advertisement