Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Movement of Refugees in History

Options
  • 02-11-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

A mate was debating with me of how we live in very interesting times.
    The world is in turmoil, from Syria, Ukraine, ISIS, and Africa.
    It has been pointed out that some of these people have nothing but hope and will do anything to get into Europe.
    So this got me thinking, I am only mad to leave this rain soaked ****hole, I don't understand why refugees want to live here, like think about it would you not like to live somewhere hot as opposed to this rain soaked dump that now wants to charge you for H2O.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

World has always been in turmoil. As long as there is religion and greed it will be this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I don't think the weather is high up on their list when they're thinking of where to go. I'd say they'd take what they can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Id rather live somewhere the whole risk of getting the head hacked off is fairly low...would worry about the heat then

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

6541 wrote: »
    It has been pointed out that some of these people have nothing but hope and will do anything to get into Europe.
    So this got me thinking, I am only mad to leave this rain soaked ****hole, I don't understand why refugees want to live here, like think about it would you not like to live somewhere hot as opposed to this rain soaked dump that now wants to charge you for H2O.

Are you trolling? Right, you go off and live in Syria and spend your days living in limbo, foraging for food and water, missing out on vital healthcare and education and dodging ISIS militants. I'll stay here with in the comfort of safety, democracy and clean, accessible water.

One word for you: perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

The world isn't turmoil. The media only makes it look like it is. We are actually living in one of the most peaceful times in history. If you don't think so try comparing it to precedent eras.

But things could change very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

You live like a king compared to the vast, vast majority of the planet. And you whinge about having to pay for drinking water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Have a bit of perspective mate. Whilst not perfect, your living in one of the best locations in the world. Also im pretty sure I'd prefer our weather to the endless heat that some countries have or alternatively extreme cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Afroshack wrote: »
    [/B]

Are you trolling? Right, you go off and live in Syria and spend your days living in limbo, foraging for food and water, missing out on vital healthcare and education and dodging ISIS militants. I'll stay here with in the comfort of safety, democracy and clean, accessible water.

One word for you: perspective.
    In all fairness, why don't they want to live in Spain or Portugal? Plenty of sunshine there, and it's Europe too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I like the rain sometimes and other times I like the sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Literally hundreds of People die crossing the med every month trying to get to Europe. Now in years gone bye none of these people would be Syrians for example as although they lived in a dictatorship if you kept your mouth shut it was an OK place to live.

But coast guards are now finding ramshackle boats containing Syrian, men women and Children. Many have drowned. Lebanon has taken in 1 million refugees - to put that into context its the equivalent of Germany taking in 12 million Syrian refugees. To seek shelter in an unstable a country as Lebanon you need to be desperate. They live in appalling conditions. Those who have made refugee camps in Turkey have basic sanitation, its freezing and snowing in winter and boiling hot in summer.

People have an idea of these places as permanently warm which is untrue. Spend a night out in Syria in December and its colder than here. Its the same in Spain. Madrid is freezing in winter. Most Irish people just go south to the resorts or the Canary Islands. They really dont know Spain.

BTW most nations charge for water. Im surprised its taken so long for this country to introduce a tax that was long overdue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Hard to get Tayto and decent tea or sausages anywhere else. It's Mr Taytos fault, word spread and now everyone wants easy access to his crispy goodness. Spar need to expand in Africa and the Middle East, then people would be happy to stay where they are. Spar - the answer to the Refugee Crisis.

Advertisement