Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutty house numbers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't think the 1901 numbers correspond to house numbers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Hermy wrote: »
    I don't think the 1901 numbers correspond to house numbers.

They do and they don't. If you look at the names, the same people are next door to each other as were in the census of 10 years away - just the numbering is odd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I can remember Shane posting about it before when I ran into a similarly confusing set of house numbers.
    I think it may be that the numbers in 1901 are the numbers on the forms but in order as you say.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Probably an attempt at confidentiality; in earlier censuses it had been agreed that identifying answers would be destroyed, or so I've been told (though hopefully Perfidious Albion may have sneakily stashed them somewhere and some eager historian may weasel them out yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I've also replied to your other thread - census enumerators used their own reference numbers - not specifically street numbers. Rural areas didnt have, and still dont, have numbers. In cities and larger towns the number they used often matched the street number, particularly on the 1911 returns, although there are areas where they reverted to their own number system in cities particularly for newer addresses. I seem to remember for example that on one of the returns Gullistan gardens (Rathmines) has been given a continuation of the numbers from the street it's attached to.

• Advertisement

Thanks, shanew. My little head is going around and around and around by now!

Maddeningly, one of the libraries has Thom's - but only a particular area of Dublin county, rather than the whole of Dublin and its surrounds.

has this family cropped up before - the addresses sound familiar ?

Maddeningly, one of the libraries has Thom's - but only a particular area of Dublin county, rather than the whole of Dublin and its surrounds.

What part of county Dublin are you looking for ?
    Directories like Thom's concentrate on the city and the towns, and only have a few entries for people in rural areas - e.g. officials and clergy etc, and sometimes in later editions, some farmers and traders close to towns. More recent editions, e.g. 1950s etc, cover more suburban and some rural areas in detail.

shanew wrote: »
    What part of county Dublin are you looking for ?
    Directories like Thom's concentrate on the city and the towns, and only have a few entries for people in rural areas - e.g. officials and clergy etc, and sometimes in later editions, some farmers and traders close to towns. More recent editions, e.g. 1950s etc, cover more suburban areas in detail.

Shane, I'm generally looking for various different places in Dublin, for a) a large extended family that lived north and south of the river, and b) their large extended family of friends, acquaintances, co-plotters, fellow-Gaedhals, et al. And sometimes for other places, but obviously I wouldn't expect Thom's to stray outside Dublin!

Advertisement