Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't feed the trolls

Options
  • 02-11-2014 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭

When they say on Boards.ie don't feed the trolls, do they really mean stop giving them food and or oxygen?.

I have also always wanted to know the following:
    1. Is a trolls favourite meal Humble Pie?
    2. Do they have a catheter since they love taking the piss?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

^^^^^ DO NOT FEED ^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sometimes its just that, a windup, this site is well known and routinely targeted by trolls. Other times it might be an attempt to smoother an unpopular opinion that goes against the grain, shut down the debate by claiming the person is trolling. It's a common online defence tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Troll are a staple of every internet forum otherwise you would have a load of do gooders licking each others holes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Troll are a staple of every internet forum otherwise you would have a load of do gooders licking each others holes

People not acting like knobjockeys are idiots eh

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

People not acting like knobjockeys are idiots eh

What about people who troll racists and bigots, are they acting like knobjockeys?

• Advertisement

I remember conversing with Bert Reubenstein online before, a man heavily involved in organised trolling, our paths crossed because I was to edit a Frank Garrett prank call for one of his associates.

It's certainly a life they commit to, these guys are trolling 24/7, it's their thing and they're very protective over it and wary of outsiders. For instance Bert went down when LulzSec got busted by the feds, he took the fall and kept his trap shut like a man.

Reubenstein is old school, they don't make them like that anymore, rats are ten a penny these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Remember Chemical burn? :)

IIRC there were two Irish guys in that roundup as well when Bert went down, I think they bit off more than they could chew and hacked the CIA or something.

There was a load of sh1t on them before that anyway, it was a big bust. Afaik the paddies weren't made members of LulzSec but still got rapped.

LulzSec bust of 2012, look it up it's good reading.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

No.
    No that's entirely wrong.

They're just the kind of dickhead that ruins everything for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Their often misunderstood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Hmmmmmm......good work. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Everyone dislikes trolls, but nobody seems to have a solid definition for what a troll is. Most of the time, it's just someone with a different opinion.

Example:
    I honestly believe that cyclists have no business being on the roads. So, now I'm a troll. Even though we have endless laws and regulations about what should and shouldn't be on the road - and while I can acknowledge that my opinion is, just that, an opinion - and that it doesn't reflect the current laws - it's a perfectly valid opinion. I don't want to see a Rollerblade'r on the N11 or a go-kart speeding around Saint Stephen's Green - which most people agree with. I also don't think bicycles should be on the same roads as cars. And I say this as cyclist who doesn't own a car.

But on most sites, these days, that makes me a troll, in the eyes of most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I agree. They can be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

YFlyer wrote: »
    Their often misunderstood

That wound be because of the sh1te standard of grammar and spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Personally I consider the PC brigade to be the biggest load of trolls the internet has ever seen and I won't stop until they're wiped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

No.

Would you ever stop moaning!

Ahhhh, that feels good on a sunday morning. Have a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

No.

Even if they are wrongly accused? Some posters use the troll argument when they are losing a debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Personally I consider the PC brigade to be the biggest load of trolls the internet has ever seen and I won't stop until they're wiped out.

But people can also troll on their phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have been called a troll for having some unpopular opinions, but I think unpopular opinions do feed trolls, but then I have a right to my unpopular opinions even if they feed trolls.
    I usually then just stop posting after my opinion has being aired and the trolls have to go on hunger strike, and complaining that I no longer post in the said thread.
    You get then a lot of 'feed me, feed me' or as they put it, you are running away from the argument, even though I made my argument and have nothing else to add as I am not changing my opinion and they can either accept it as my opinion or starve as a troll.

That is how a troll is fed unintentionally, then starved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In the spirit of trolling, I offer the following piece of erudition:

Its not Humble Pie, its Umble Pie, and it was a pie made from the guts (ie least desirable parts) of a deer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

for just five euro a month you could adopt a troll

• Registered Users Posts: 10,836 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Mint Aero wrote: »

What exactly won't you stop doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The cost of a monthly boards subscription.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are they hard to feed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Bridie loves Dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

That wound be because of the sh1te standard of grammar and spelling.

Was fishing.

Advertisement