Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are homeless people icky? Should we build a ghetto?

Options
  • 01-11-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

A bit of a rant here on one of After Hour's favourite topics, the homeless.

Am I the only one who's disgusted by the attitude some people have towards homeless people and poor/destitute people in general? I can understand that some people are concerned about crime and anti-social behaviour but this alone isn't enough to justify the vitriol I see both here online and when speaking with people in real life.
    Maybe I'm just friends with lots of heartless cunts but it seems to me a lot of people see 'homeless', 'scum,' 'junkies', 'filth' as just one big city beautification issue. Like if we could sweep all these people who and turn them into mulch or pig feed Dublin would be a great place with much more room for wine-bars, pop-up art galleries, pulled pork burger joints and coke&hooker emporiums. I'm concerned about the problem of homelessness and the plight of beggars and all that but they don't upset me. One thing I actually quite like about Dublin is that although there are definitely poor and rich neighbourhoods when you go into the city centre you get to mix with all social strata. It's not like Paris where all the poor, brown and generally undesirable people seem largely confined to the peripheries leaving the city centre as an affluent fairy tale in stone.

Basically, aside from the issue of crime (which from my inexpert perspective seems to be on a par with other nice European cities) are you upset by the mere presence or sight of povs? Do you know someone who is? Do you think they should all just 'get a job', preferably far away? Can you explain this perspective?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

In all seriousness though, prevention is better than cure. I think it's moreso the parading junkies that Irish people have a problem with. What galls me about them is their awful fashion sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

And his mama cries

A bit of a rant here on one of After Hour's favourite topics, the homeless.

Am I the only one who's disgusted by the attitude some people have towards homeless people and poor/destitute people in general? I can understand that some people are concerned about crime and anti-social behaviour but this alone isn't enough to justify the vitriol I see both here online and when speaking with people in real life.
    Maybe I'm just friends with lots of heartless cunts but it seems to me a lot of people see 'homeless', 'scum,' 'junkies', 'filth' as just one big city beautification issue. Like if we could sweep all these people who and turn them into mulch or pig feed Dublin would be a great place with much more room for wine-bars, pop-up art galleries, pulled pork burger joints and coke&hooker emporiums. I'm concerned about the problem of homelessness and the plight of beggars and all that but they don't upset me. One thing I actually quite like about Dublin is that although there are definitely poor and rich neighbourhoods when you go into the city centre you get to mix with all social strata. It's not like Paris where all the poor, brown and generally undesirable people seem largely confined to the peripheries leaving the city centre as an affluent fairy tale in stone.

Basically, aside from the issue of crime (which from my inexpert perspective seems to be on a par with other nice European cities) are you upset by the mere presence or sight of povs? Do you know someone who is? Do you think they should all just 'get a job', preferably far away? Can you explain this perspective?

I literally know no-one who thinks this. Strawman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

The majority of us are only something like 3 paychecks away from homelessness.

It could literally be any of us. Becoming homeless doesnt automatically make you a filth. It's the things people resort to when they become homeless that people judge - like if any of us wouldn to the same to survive.

People need to be more god dam compassionate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think its pretty clear what we need for homeless people and junkies. Big camps for them to live in, surrounded by machine guns, barbed wire, guard dogs etc. Soon as someone is evicted, we throw them inside, give them a spear, let them fight to the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I literally know no-one who thinks this. Strawman.

You're right, I suppose wine bars are a little passé.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Arn't they ones that started Ebola

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

cloud493 wrote: »
    I think its pretty clear what we need for homeless people and junkies. Big camps for them to live in, surrounded by machine guns, barbed wire, guard dogs etc. Soon as someone is evicted, we throw them inside, give them a spear, let them fight to the death.

Can't we just throw them away, maybe one of the islands would suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

You're face is icky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

This the kind of thread I'd expect from one of the usual re-reg trolls..

Can't we just throw them away, maybe one of the islands would suffice?

Something like craggy island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

As much as they are unfortunately seen as "fallen" in society's eyes, I truly believe that most of these individuals are some of the strongest minded and willed people of our society to deal with what they do.

We are conditioned to believe/see that "strong" = successful = money and things.

Strong is having nowhere to live, but still be alive. Having people look down on you and still exist. Having no food and managing to get it somewhere. Having no family or anyone to care for you, and still be here.

And I for one am really in awe of what these people have gone/are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No. I see homeless people every day, the same (at least) 5 or 6 people in the same locations, where they sleep in the cold, and have drunken dickhe&ds mocking them. I only feel empathy for them. There for the grace of God, and all that. And I don't think homeless people contribute to crime, most of them seem way too far out of it, dealing with their own awful stuff. They are a harmless bunch, and I feel sorry for all of them. It's one of the things that really angers me about our society. How can we let anyone sleep on the streets in this day and age? Most of them are so vulnerable. Mental health issues and all of it. 100,000 people came out today and protested about water charges. F&CK your water charges, you may have difficulty paying it, but you still have a roof over your head (and long may it continue). Where are the 100,000 people protesting about people who sleep on the streets, in fear, and the cold, and their own wee? These are the genuinely 'most vulnerable in society'. And they're the forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Have a look at the Ted talk by Becky Blanton on homelessness.she was a success author who had a nervous breakdown after a relative died.it's amazing,one of the biggest eye openers I had on the subject.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Maybe it's time to make The Hunger Games a reality, we could just throw everyone who we deem is an "undesirable" into a dome and let them fight it out to the death for our entertainment. It'd be like Big Brother except no one is leaving with minor celebrity status, Davina McCall could be the Effie Trinket

Chunners wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to make The Hunger Games a reality, we could just throw everyone who we deem is an "undesirable" into a dome and let them fight it out to the death for our entertainment. It'd be like Big Brother except no one is leaving with minor celebrity status, Davina McCall could be the Effie Trinket

Thats the plan. We 'normal' people can live in a fancy district and the poor people can live in all the rest of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

And the South side of Dublin could be The Capitol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

No. I see homeless people every day, the same (at least) 5 or 6 people in the same locations, where they sleep in the cold, and have drunken dickhe&ds mocking them. I only feel empathy for them. There for the grace of God, and all that. And I don't think homeless people contribute to crime, most of them seem way too far out of it, dealing with their own awful stuff. They are a harmless bunch, and I feel sorry for all of them. It's one of the things that really angers me about our society. How can we let anyone sleep on the streets in this day and age? Most of them are so vulnerable. Mental health issues and all of it. 100,000 people came out today and protested about water charges. F&CK your water charges, you may have difficulty paying it, but you still have a roof over your head (and long may it continue). Where are the 100,000 people protesting about people who sleep on the streets, in fear, and the cold, and their own wee? These are the genuinely 'most vulnerable in society'. And they're the forgotten.

Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

Thats the plan. We 'normal' people can live in a fancy district and the poor people can live in all the rest of the place.

I don't know, I mean before rejecting the idea totally just think, Davina would look pretty hot with blue hair

• Advertisement

Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

It makes me laugh every time people say "Traditional moral values", you do realize that Traditional moral values are what got women burned as witches? Traditional moral values is what had kids loosing hands in cotton mills only 100 years ago. Traditional moral values is what created slavery. So tell me exactly what about Traditional moral values was so good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

So tell me exactly what about Traditional moral values was so good?

People were more polite and respectful to each other.

For example, in Victorian times it was common for a gentleman to raise his hat to every lady who walked by while he was urinating out of a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

It makes me laugh every time people say "Traditional moral values", you do realize that Traditional moral values are what got women burned as witches? Traditional moral values is what had kids loosing hands in cotton mills only 100 years ago. Traditional moral values is what created slavery. So tell me exactly what about Traditional moral values was so good?

Hey, I'm a child of divorce, gimme a break! Well Chunners, I could tell you... but then I'd have to kill ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Hey, I'm a child of divorce, gimme a break! Well Chunners, I could tell you... but then I'd have to kill ya

You could lead by example, and challenge Chunners to a duel.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

It's hip to be square.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

People were more polite and respectful to each other.

For example, in Victorian times it was common for a gentleman to raise his hat to every lady who walked by while he was urinating out of a window.

When men were men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

You know it's all a fantasy! ;)

Advertisement