Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaeltacht?

Options
  • 01-11-2014 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, im in TY at the moment and I would like to go to the gaeltacht next summer because my irish could definetly use some improvement lol. Im thinking of going to spleodar in august? Has anyone been there? If so then would you recommend it? Please answer even if you havent been to spleodar! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Help1997

Hi, im in TY at the moment and I would like to go to the gaeltacht next summer because my irish could definetly use some improvement lol. Im thinking of going to spleodar in august? Has anyone been there? If so then would you recommend it? Please answer even if you havent been to spleodar! :-)

I'm curently doing my lc this year and I went to the Gaeltacht last July. I didn't go to splendar but I did go to colaiste na Bhfiann in ros muc . I have to say it did improve my oral irish aswell as my tape work. I would reccomend this course for anyone struggling with oral Irish as I had no clue of a lot of irish until I went here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

Id say go Colaiste Chamuis my friends went there and there irish is amazing! Not as strict as others but still strict enough and really good craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

colaiste sheoisamh myself, 3 weeks, not a fan of gaeltachts at all, maybe im too negative or mature but some of the dances you do are an absolute joke. mixed in with lots of younger kids so i was 16 surrounded by 12/11 screaming having the time of their lives, sport was poor but academic was good, good to go if you have a big group going and your into showing off/popularity etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭DarraghFitz98

Coláiste Chamuis! Have been there three times and it's brilliant for your Gaeilge and for the craic! Can't recommend highly enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I went to Coláiste na bhFiann in Sligo and Rath Carn, Co Meath. Really enjoyed and would highly recommend. Great emphasis on the language unlike some other colleges. Would recommend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 taramcgirl

Spleodar is 100% the way to go! I've been to the gaeltacht 3 times. The first time I went was to Colaiste na nOilean. COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY! Irish is barely spoken, poorly organised, no cinnirí in the houses, not many activities and I barely had any sleep. The next time I went was to spleodar and I absolutely loved it! Everyone got on so well with each other, I was never bored throughout the three weeks. The cinnires actually act like big brothers and sisters. Naturally I went back the following year :) They are very strict on the Irish but after a few days in isn't intimidating anymore and you actually have dreams 'as gaeilge' I got an A in my Junior Cert because of spleodar and I met people that are still my best friends to date. Feel free to ask questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AntonK101

can any of ye help me with this?
    i was kicked out of the gaeltach and want to go back again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 smcn819

I went to Spleodar in Leitir Meallain last summer at the end of 5th year with 2 of my friends and it was honestly the worst 3 weeks of my life. It was my 4th time going to the gaeltacht but my first time going to a spleodar one. It was like a concentration camp for Irish, sooooooooo strict. And we were constantly under the supervision of the "cinnirí" which was really annoying because most of them were the same age as me (17). My friends hated it too and by the end of the 2nd week we were all seriously considering going home. Don't get me wrong I love the gaeltacht just not spleodar. I've also been to Colaiste Camuis, colaiste chiarain and lurgan. They were all so much more fun and I have so many great memories from them. And I got an A in JC irish and I'm hoping to get an A1 in the LC. Spleodar was terrifying and they were constantly putting the fear of God into you about getting sent home because of speaking English. I was the happiest person in the world when I got home. I had forgotten what freedom was like. The worst part about spleodar for me was the cinnirí. They were all really annoying and so sneaky. My cinnire said that the bainisteoir told them all to try and catch people speaking English and to report them so they all tried to do that to impress him.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sophiiieee

Definitely Spleodar! Have been to three and it is the best, I've been there there times now! It is strict but still fun and will definitely improve your Irish!! I loved it!

Advertisement