Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Winter Blues

Options
  • 01-11-2014 6:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭

Im normally a fairly upbeat person but this is the second year when the clocks went back that I started feeling a bit down. Im not looking for medical advice as Im aware that is against charter. Nor do I want this moved to PI. Im moreso wondering if its a fairly common thing when the dark nights start coming at 5pm and earlier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Buy a SAD lamp ... They seem to work

Unless 6 months down under is an option

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

weisses wrote: »

I wish! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I like Winter. Hot drinks, strong trappist beer or some red wine with the rain and wind lashing against the windows is a great thing*

*Winter may not be as enjoyable on weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hate the short days, getting up and coming home in the dark, even moreso when the weather is crap like today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I prefer the early nights to be honest, honestly hate it in the summer when it doesn't get dark until 10pm, it just makes it feel like the day is dragging
    weisses wrote: »

SAD lamps are ridiculously expensive, just go to a pet shop and buy a UV strip light and the fixture for max €45 (15 for the strip light and 30 for the fixture) and use that instead. They are what you need to keep exotic pets like bearded dragons so if they work for them as an acceptable source of UVA and UVB that mimics what they would be experiences in Australian sunlight they will work for you. No idea why people would pay 100's of quid for a SAD lamp when there is a perfectly functional cheap option available

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried using a vitamin D supplement at this time of year? It's supposed to work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try Egg and Mustard Sambo's, heard they work wonders !

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

I got a Lumie wake up light (Lumie 250) and I can't recommend it enough...
    I'm bounding out of bed in the morning as opposed to dragging myself out like a gremlin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I love dark mornings and rain and cold :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Get a fleshlight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

This is my favourite time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Well, good luck with those winter blues :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

I love everything about winter. :) The dark nights, snow, bitter cold, warm fire, TV, pjz, & food and hot choclate :)

I hate summer.

For me personally, winter is the best time of year :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I bought a SAD lamp, but it was shite. So I went out and bought a HAPPY lamp instead. Feeling much better now.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I love dark mornings and rain and cold :cool:

Said no one ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I look forward to the winter, my eyes are too sensitive to light, feel like I spend all summer squinting, its such a relief to be in the dark. Can be a bit disorienting though if you leave in the dark, come home in the dark and are inside all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Dep! wrote: »
    Said no one ever.

I did :D cos I hate too much light and heat and humidity and the sun being around at stupid times of the morning, does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Hate leaving work in darkness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I LOVE winter. Yummy coffees, wooly hats, giant scarfs, knitted jumpers, boots, it's my favourite. I get the summer blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Everyone in this country should supplement Vit D3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

They have this lumie in boots for a lot cheaper than anywhere else. http://www.boots.ie/en/Lumie-Bodyclock-Active-250_1133457/

Dunno if the price is a misprint or what, but I bought one and it was delivered last week grand! I love it...makes dark mornings a lot easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

try living in estonia where the summers are short, winters are long and the sun barely gets above the horizon for a few hours a day in winter months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Start running, going for a run on a nice crisp winter evening is class and should cheer you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Winter is great! Nothing beats the buzz of December drinks in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

Lia_lia wrote: »
    They have this lumie in boots for a lot cheaper than anywhere else. http://www.boots.ie/en/Lumie-Bodyclock-Active-250_1133457/

Dunno if the price is a misprint or what, but I bought one and it was delivered last week grand! I love it...makes dark mornings a lot easier!

Thanks a mil for posting that,bought it straight away! I was going to wait awhile because 80-90 euro seemed a bit steep.

I hate being dragged out of sleep by an alarm, especially when it's dark out so this will be great to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Thank you Lia! Nice find!

Christmas is my favourite time of year so its just a count down to that now so I'm happy and looking forward to it already.

Also hot whiskey chasers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Shove your head in a light box, some job.

Winter sucks a bit. Hate when it dips into the mid teens. Currently 22C, but there is a bit of a breeze so it feels colder :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Shove your head in a light box, some job.

Winter sucks a bit. Hate when it dips into the mid teens. Currently 22C, but there is a bit of a breeze so it feels colder :p

What part of the world are u in? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Can't beat a long walk/run on a clear winters morning to clear the head,all the best TV shows run during autumn/winter, pubs always seem better in winter,and the whole month of December is spent eating and drinking well.what's not to like

Advertisement