Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch reconfigure options

Options
  • 01-11-2014 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi
    I recently bought a house with PW installed. The previous owner cancelled the contract and I have no interest in renewing monitoring. Maybe I misunderstand the system but I see no value in it

Reasons I don't like it:
    Somebody could smash the sitting room window or downstairs loo window or any upstairs window, climb in and the alarm would not go off (PIR's can't see it), or any window behind a curtain.
    Images taken on the PIRs could be intercepted (or used inappropriately)
    It doesn't allow for people to move about downstairs at night (although I believe this is a config issue)
    What's the point in paying someone to call the neighbours / police when I could do that myself if I knew the alarm was going off.

AS PW will charge me to remove the alarm I'd like to see if I can reconfigure it and use it as part of my own system. The system is the one on their website now (Domonial?). They say I can't and its my problem not theirs.

My requirements (I think, let me know if I'm way off or talking about overkill etc)
    If the alarm goes off I get a text and a bell rings in the house - no ongoing charge for this
    When I'm not home my wife and kids can have the alarm on in the evening and move about the house
    At night I can get downstairs to fill a baby bottle with minimum of fuss.
    Possibility to extend alarm to shed (which has power)

Any advice appreciated. Also anyone with the configuration manual and engineering code, could they please share. Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi
    I recently bought a house with PW installed. The previous owner cancelled the contract and I have no interest in renewing monitoring. Maybe I misunderstand the system but I see no value in it

Reasons I don't like it:
    Somebody could smash the sitting room window or downstairs loo window or any upstairs window, climb in and the alarm would not go off (PIR's can't see it), or any window behind a curtain.
    Images taken on the PIRs could be intercepted (or used inappropriately)
    It doesn't allow for people to move about downstairs at night (although I believe this is a config issue)
    What's the point in paying someone to call the neighbours / police when I could do that myself if I knew the alarm was going off.

AS PW will charge me to remove the alarm I'd like to see if I can reconfigure it and use it as part of my own system. The system is the one on their website now (Domonial?). They say I can't and its my problem not theirs.

My requirements (I think, let me know if I'm way off or talking about overkill etc)
    If the alarm goes off I get a text and a bell rings in the house - no ongoing charge for this
    When I'm not home my wife and kids can have the alarm on in the evening and move about the house
    At night I can get downstairs to fill a baby bottle with minimum of fuss.
    Possibility to extend alarm to shed (which has power)

Any advice appreciated. Also anyone with the configuration manual and engineering code, could they please share. Many thanks,

That is the problem with not protecting windows on a system. From honeywells website there are shock sensors available for this system.
    If you could request the engineer code off this system then you may be able to add these sensors in yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LeinsterLegend

Thanks altor, I'll look into the honeywell options.
    Hopefully PW will finally let me know where the "hidden" panel is and the engineering code. I'll try again on Monday. Very frustrating that they wont let me know because I don't have an account with them. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks altor, I'll look into the honeywell options.
    Hopefully PW will finally let me know where the "hidden" panel is and the engineering code. I'll try again on Monday. Very frustrating that they wont let me know because I don't have an account with them. Thanks again.

Once you move in and a system is in place it is a nightmare to have anything done without taking out a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

The hidden panel is a small white box which is plugged in somewhere in the home.. Attic ect.
    You're best bet is to remove the system and install a proper system either yourself or by another company. Those phone watch panels are programmed using a controller so I don't think you'll be able to get your hands on one.
    No other alarm company uses this system.
    The most common systems are

HKC
    Siemens
    Visonic

It's a joke that PW are trying to force you to sign up with them. €420 a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LeinsterLegend

Thanks Evolution1 - so what you are saying is that if I dont have a controller I wont be able to repurpose the alarm and add my own bits like altering me and window sensors etc.

Ok so if I get someone out to install a new alarm, can they remove the PW stuff without it going off etc? Will other installers remove the existing system? I doint want multiple panels etc.

We are getting the place repainted in the next 2 weeks so I need to get the old stuff down at least and ideally new stuff up in that timeframe. I have (I think) a clear view of what I need. THere are also old sensors and a bell no longer used. It all looks a bit ridiculous!

I thought I could leverage what was there but fromthe advice here I'm abandoning that idea and just looking to get the PW stuff out and start again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Thanks Evolution1 - so what you are saying is that if I dont have a controller I wont be able to repurpose the alarm and add my own bits like altering me and window sensors etc.

Ok so if I get someone out to install a new alarm, can they remove the PW stuff without it going off etc? Will other installers remove the existing system? I doint want multiple panels etc.

We are getting the place repainted in the next 2 weeks so I need to get the old stuff down at least and ideally new stuff up in that timeframe. I have (I think) a clear view of what I need. THere are also old sensors and a bell no longer used. It all looks a bit ridiculous!

I thought I could leverage what was there but fromthe advice here I'm abandoning that idea and just looking to get the PW stuff out and start again.

Keep the old presumably wired sensors and remove the phone watch gear.. The old sensors might still be ok and can be linked in with a new alarm. Yes any installer will be happy to remove the phonewatch alarm.. You could use it for something else or sell it for parts online.

Advertisement