Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Advice...so so so lost

Options
  • 01-11-2014 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I am a new nursing graduate. Initially, I thought hey Il go to the UK bla bla then backed out last month cause I just was not feeling it. So I took up work with an agency, perhaps this was good/bad idea, i dunno but after a few days shiftwork in different hospitals I am already going out of my mind.

EVERYDAY, I come home and obsessively start to google all other jobs that I may potential pursue one day. This truly breaks my heart cause all I ever wanted was to do nursing, then I got in...realised it may not be for me in like third year...carried on and now I'm like I knew it! I said to myself I had to get the degree and try it!Well that's what everyone told me when i wanted to drop out. I know its early days but lets face it I've been doing this the pass 4-5 years too so surely I have an inkling. I really feel burnt out.

During my training and even now as I travel to work, I dread it and wish that I could get out of it and wish for/imagine terrible alternatives like crashing the car or getting ill just to avoid it. That is terrible I know. I can't believe I think like this at times.

I can't express clearly what the problem is but I do like working with patients/people and get on great with patients but oh my god I have never come across such vile, obnoxious and ill-mannered co workers than I do in healthcare. I have worked in shops etc but I NEVER! Rotten from the top, the core and outwards! Hateful.

Maybe i need to rant but there are so many other problems that put me right off this career. I am grateful to have the opportunity to work but who wants to work when they feel like this! I'd rather earn pittance for something I loved! But thats not always realistic. And also what is it that I love to do?? Lol.

To add further madness to all of this, I have a accepted a job in a nursing home in a different county. Why do I do what I do?!

I have been to a career guidance counselor and no luck there. I am so miserable... and embarrassed at this rant and the length of it!

I applaud anyone who reads this! And I welcome and eagerly anticipate any advice/comments ye give! Cheers x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

Take some time to do some proper research i.e. not just trawling through job adverts to see what to apply for.

Aim to find out about all the kinds of jobs that a nursing degree would directly or indirectly be useful for.

What roles would it help. E.g. pharmaceutical companies. Charities that provide healthcare type of assistance. Emts. I don't know as know nothing about nursing.

But do a big drive to find out all possibilities and try and think outside the box. Then see if further study or other types of study would be a further help to getting into the types of roles you might like. Then I'd not only apply for jobs but apply to companies directly who aren't advertising asking for a job.

That's what I would do. Once on that road different possibilities may open up

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also, try writing down exactly what you do and don't like about nursing.

Don't just say "co-workers" - actually name the specific issues. And remember that if you're a temp, you can expect to get shat upon (figuratively speaking) in any industry. Once you're working permanently somewhere, things should get better.

From this, try working out what other jobs have those factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LillyLaur89

Thanks for the comments.

It's difficult to get into other areas such as pharmaceutical rep work, insurance nurse advising jobs and nurse teaching without two years plus experience and I just don't think I can last two years floor nursing. I don't even know if I would like these areas too. As for courses related to these areas I can't seem to find anything in Ireland unfortunately.

I think I will just have to go a career adviser again and maybe they can find more suitable roles that are behind the scenes so to speak, that I am not aware of yet.

Honestly, I'm sick of all this its so tiring. I am going to go frigging insane soon. But seriously, appreciate the tips ye give :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The reality is that your doing nursing agency work and your newly qualified.
    With agency work you are expect to hit the ground running and not to ask to many questions.
    Along with this every place you work could have slightly different ways of doing things.
    You also need to remember that some people just expect you do know/do everything as per the rest of the staff who have been working there a few months or years.

The main problem you have is that you need to get more experience and more support when doing this. Doing agency work will give you money but it won't give you support.
    The reality is that here in Ireland it is hard to get permanent employment.
    I would strongly consider contacting some of the nursing agencies here in Ireland that deal with getting nurse for the Uk hospitals. By going to the uk you will get the support you need starting your career, will have better chances to gain further qualifications and will get more experience which will benefit you long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

I think the best thing a newly quailified nurse can do is work in one place for six months. This enables you to gain experience in a particular area. This includes the basics like where is the staff toilet and which staff to avoid also!! No wonder you feel all over the place. The hse has lifted its recruitment freeze so you should be able to find a job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement