Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

easiest way to learn new vocab in a foreign language

Options
  • 01-11-2014 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

just wondering what easy ways if any ye have for learning new vocabulary in any foreign languages you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

● write the words in a notebook (with their
    translations or definitions).

● write the words and definitions on flashcards

● say the words many times.

● write them in a file for use with a computer
    program (such as Quizlet ).

● ask someone to test you.

● use the words in your own speaking or
    writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pk9712

STUDY CARDS! literally the only thing I used my study cards was learning vocab. Whenever I came across a work in a comprehension or a listening comprehension write it on a card. The word on one side and the meaning on the back.

If your doing german make sure to put the der/die/das/die in front of it and learn it with its gender, im not sure if its like that for other languages.

At the end of leaving cert I had 3 massive piles of vocab. I use to just go over maybe half a pile a day to keep up with it. You don't just learn a word and leave it, you need to keep going back to it and that's why the study cards are effective. You pick up a handful of cards a day and if you don't get a few words put them in a seperate pile and re-learn them

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pk9712

STUDY CARDS! literally the only thing I used my study cards was learning vocab. Whenever I came across a word in a comprehension or a listening comprehension write it on a card. The word on one side and the meaning on the back.

If your doing german make sure to put the der/die/das/die in front of it and learn it with its gender, im not sure if its like that for other languages.

At the end of leaving cert I had 3 massive piles of vocab. I use to just go over maybe half a pile a day to keep up with it. You don't just learn a word and leave it, you need to keep going back to it and that's why the study cards are effective. You pick up a handful of cards a day and if you don't get a few words put them in a seperate pile and re-learn them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

Anki is fantastic for learning vocab on the computer. Whenever we get vocab I just put it into Anki and just keep reviewing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends on the sort of learner you are. A visual learner may find flash cards handy, an aural learner may find it useful to say the word out loud every time they pass the item, etc..

• Advertisement
Advertisement