Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating arguments

Options
  • 31-10-2014 9:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭

Recently I've noticed a lot of repetitive nonsense being thrown out constantly from boardsies.

1. Go back to the conspiracy theories forum
    2. Never let facts get in the way of a good argument
    3 . Go away with your strawman argument
    4. Don't read that tripe/source/newspaper etc. (I guess we should all be sourcing published peer reviewed journals only)

etc. etc. etc.

The air of superiority displayed by these posters grates on my every nerve.
    God forbid you read the f'n daily mail and comment on an article in it!!!
    Anyone who does quote the daily mail now has to apologise in advance! FFS!!

So, what irritates you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Moaners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a load of people bashing the Strawman Argument :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Funnily enough, my very last post before this one was displaying an air of superiority about conspiracy theories in the Ebola thread. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Oh, and how could I have forgotten the king of them all.

'For the last time, it's an OVERTAKING LANE, NOT A FAST LANE'.

Calibos wrote: »
    Funnily enough, my very last post before this one was displaying an air of superiority about conspiracy theories in the Ebola thread. :D
    Were you perhaps citing an NY newspaper as your source? Silly billy.

• Advertisement

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a load of people bashing the Strawman Argument :(

What till AdHominum see's this thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Sclosages wrote: »
    Recently I've noticed a lot of repetitive nonsense being thrown out constantly from boardsies.

4. Don't read that tripe/source/newspaper etc. (I guess we should all be sourcing published peer reviewed journals only)

etc. etc. etc.

So, what irritates you?

Evidence?

Were you perhaps citing an NY newspaper as your source? Silly billy.

No, it was about the CT nutter contagion spreading from the CT forums. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturer of dairy products.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

etc. etc. etc.

So, what irritates you?
    the daily mail publishes bs clickbait articles to get idiots starting threads on social media to direct traffic to their site.

If you don't want to be called out as a gullible stooge, check your sources before posting

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    the daily mail publishes bs clickbait articles to get idiots starting threads on social media to direct traffic to their site.

If you don't want to be called out as a gullible stooge, check your sources before posting

Nyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Akrasia wrote: »

The alarming clickbait phenomenon is worth reading about - good article here.

We'll played Sir, well played! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Those comments which derail the threads. Especially when someone mentions religion/politics/abortion, etc in a topic that is not even relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Whilst reading your username aloud (to figure out what the f**K it was!), i've just realised: that's very clever, good luck with the windmills :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

So, what irritates you?

Naggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Shinners derailing every thread saying anything bad about the great leader.

Also criticise ira actions in the past and you get "sure there was a war on. It happens"

Mention british/irish/anybody else's actions and you get "full public enquiry now!"

Illogical but predictable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

In the immortal words of Dave Tholen: classic invective, laced with irony.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Don't lie OP, admit it you made a few posts that you thought were awesome and when you didn't get thanked for them felt the need to tell everyone they are uneducated Neanderthals who just couldn't function on your intellectual level because you read The Daily Mail and they don't. Honestly why not just call a spade a spade and be done with it? all this subterfuge is impressing no one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

"He's a spoofer"
    Makes sense when someone is talking about a politician going back on what they promised, someone blatantly lying etc... Makes about zero sense in any other context, yet strangely gets used a lot.

"PC Brigade"
    Can make sense at times, but it's just so overused, and so often is flung around by people with no idea what it means that it's nothing short of staggering. My favourite example was reading someone refer to a car in an ad as "pc" for no other reason than they didn't like it or the bad (it wasn't even an electric car or anything like that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I really don't think that the august tribune which is the daily mail could really give a shíte about social media stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

etc. etc. etc.

So, what irritates you?

In fairness, there is some amount of strawmanning on these forums. Some folk lack basic debating skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Pedanticism

• "Irish Water are the worst thing to have happened to the Republic of Ireland"
    • "The country's called Ireland, dubass"

Grammar

• "
      Irish Water are is the worst thing to have happened to the Republic of Ireland.
      FYP, dumbass"

Strawman

• "Well, that's just a straw-man, dumbass"

Ad-hominem

• "Well they're great for conservation, dumbass."
    • "You take that back! Oh yeah, that's a great argument, calling me a dumbass, dumbass."

Godwin

• "How so?"
    • "Well, they're like the Nazis"

Anti-Godwin

• "Well, they're like the Nazis"
    • "DING DONG GODWIN IDIOT!"

Mod banning

• "DING DONG GODWIN IDIOT!"
    • "Gonna give you some time to read the charter - mod"

Advertisement