Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car first time €1000

Options
  • 31-10-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all, I need to buy a car for under 1,000. It needs to be a 1.2 or less because of insurance.

What kinds of things should I be looking for? I'm clueless as to cars. I've used a bicycle the last 20 tears to commute to and from work.

What's a good car to buy or a bad car??

Any advice would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You could you use Auto Trader to get an idea of what you could buy.Should have lots of choice. Maybe look at cars like the Renault Clio 1.2, Peugeot 206, Skoda Fabia,VW Polo, Opel Corsa and Fiat Punto. Lots of choice there just have to find one that you like and that your happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

plaiboi wrote: »
    Hi all, I need to buy a car for under 1,000. It needs to be a 1.2 or less because of insurance.

What kinds of things should I be looking for? I'm clueless as to cars. I've used a bicycle the last 20 tears to commute to and from work.

What's a good car to buy or a bad car??

Any advice would be great :)

What have you budgeted for insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭billy100

I recommend buy from a reputable garage, buy second hand and privately is very dodgy for your first car. At least in garage you have some comeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

billy100 wrote: »
    I recommend buy from a reputable garage, buy second hand and privately is very dodgy for your first car. At least in garage you have some comeback

Reputable garages don't sell €1000 cars. Where's the margin in it for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Not sure your going to find a car for 1000 in any reputable garages , and then get a warranty . I think your better off looking on done deal for car around 1 ltr /1.2 and then pay a good mech to come along and give it a good look, maybe even stick it on a ramp .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

I'd reccomend you buy privately and take someone who knows a bit. You don't really need a massive amount of comeback on a 1K purchase. You'll likely pay double the price at a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Get yourself an oul opel corsa or yaris. Both are bullet proof cars and things don't break on em.
    I'm talking from experience with both.
    Would recommend you opt for the 1.2 engine, otherwise you will feel like you are driving a tin can.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What sort of comeback would you be expecting with a €1k car from a garage? There is no profit for a garage in giving anything resembling a warranty on a €1k car. The only €1k cars dealers have is rubbish traded in that the last owner wanted shot of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I personally recommend buying privately, you'll be overcharged heavily from a garage, if you even find something suitable for 1000.

Done deal is your only man in this case. You'll need to find a friend/family member who's well in the know of cars, (not someone who just thinks they are) or a mechanic to take along for viewings..

Don't be afraid to go to 1.3 or 1.4 in engine size, insurance is based on more parameters than base engine size, you say you've commuted by bike for quite a while so I can imagine you're not under 25?

Here's a few loose suggestions that I'd be edging towards if it was me, don't know where you are in the country but you'll get an idea.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-nct/7627686

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/98-ford-fiesta-1-25/7873951

These fiestas (1.25L) have a really good reputation in terms of engine reliability, easy to drive & quite cheap to maintain - tiny tyres make it very cheap for new ones etc. Also very cheap to insure.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fait-punto-2002-nct-10-15/7991625

I'll be honest in saying I don't know a huge amount about punto's, but they're cheap and cheerful and can be found with a long nct for well under your budget.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-starlet/7817622

Slightly more expensive than their competitors but reliable as a rock, nippy, cheap to maintain & very good on fuel. The 4efe engine in these are basically indestructable once there's oil kept in them. Corollas of this era are a good buy also, but command a price premium due to Irish fanatisism.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-seicento-long-nct-and-tax/7979557

Great little cars, about as cheap to run as it gets, once you're not too tall :pac:

Doubt you'll find a yaris worth buying for your budget to be honest, they command a good price, for good reason!

Theres many more makes and models out there,

Get on to done deal, search in the car section but don't fill the search bar with any terms, set a price parameter from say: 600-1100, set an engine size limit, and the counties in which you'd be willing to travel to, see what it throws up for you, definitely get something with a reasonably long nct to save you any additional initial hassle.

Good Luck :)

Advertisement