Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Liberty Insurance Windscreen Replacement

Options
  • 31-10-2014 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has their car insured with liberty, their windscreen need replacing. They've been told if they get it replaced by Autoglass then the total cost will be covered by liberty but if they go to a different windscreen company then only €150 will be covered by liberty.
    Is this normal practice by liberty insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

tanko wrote: »
    A friend of mine has their car insured with liberty, their windscreen need replacing. They've been told if they get it replaced by Autoglass then the total cost will be covered by liberty but if they go to a different windscreen company then only €150 will be covered by liberty.
    Is this normal practice by liberty insurance?

Typical enough but my insurer were giving alittle more than that If I wanted to go via my own garage.
    Nothing wrong with Autoglass although I believe different branches / franchises vary in standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Yes, they have an agreement with Autoglass. In other words they have beaten Autoglass down to a certain margin on replacements.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Yes, they have an agreement with Autoglass. In other words they have beaten Autoglass down to a certain margin on replacements.

On a related note, if the car is nearly new, insist on a genuine replacement part, not the cheaper aftermarket parts they like to use. That should soften their cough alittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Apparently if the person making the claim can't provide a garage or somewhere covered they can't guarantee they'll turn up if it's raining. Just as well it doesn't rain much in ireland:rolleyes:

tanko wrote: »
    Apparently if the person making the claim can't provide a garage or somewhere covered they can't guarantee they'll turn up if it's raining. Just as well it doesn't rain much in ireland:rolleyes:

Well would you want the windscreen out of your car while it's sitting in the rain. I wouldnt.
    As far as I remember, you are free to take the car to an Autoglass depot also and not worry about the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

mickdw wrote: »
    Well would you want the windscreen out of your car while it's sitting in the rain. I wouldnt.
    As far as I remember, you are free to take the car to an Autoglass depot also and not worry about the rain.

Fair enough about the rain but the nearest depot is an hour away from where the claimant lives and works. A few years ago I remember lads with small panel beating businesses kicking up a fuss about insurance companies forcing claimants to go to garages which they dealt with.
    I assume it's legal for insurance companies to pay out less to claimants if they use a company not recomended by themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Probably is legal as far as windscreen cover is concerned. They normally offer it as a no-cost (low-cost) option and 1 claim per year doesn't affect your NCB.

Bodywork would be a different issue though, as you would be affecting your NCB therefore you would have the right to chose your own repairer....within reason of course.

Advertisement