Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smell of tar

Options
  • 31-10-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine recently bought an '08 Opel Astra, 1.3 diesel!
    It has a smell of tar coming through the vents while driving, and also you can see steam/ smoke coming from under the bonnet!
    Any ideas what it might be? I was thinking possible oil over spill from when it was last serviced burning off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Not being smart, but has he lifted the Bonnet to see where this steam/smoke may be originating from ?
    It could be any number of things causing the symptoms you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Yeah had a look, coming from around oil filler cap area, slightly below it! No sign of it anywhere else in engine bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Could be just oil overspill.
    But could be an oil leak onto the exhaust.
    Could also be a small coolant leak.

TBH if it was just an overspill I would'nt expect to see much smoke as it's really only the exhaust that gets hot enough to actually cause 'loose' oil to smoke a bit.
    Pour a bit of water over the filler cap (with the cap on) and see where it goes...any oil would have followed the same path and should be easily spotted.
    Another option is that the car may have had some recent work done. This usually means greasy hands all over the place and this can cause all sorts of oily smells as the grime gets burnt off.
    The main thing would be to check the oil and coolant levels very regularly for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

i had the same problem turned out to be a gasket failure at back of the head seems the gasket had failed due to been over torqued and basically pushed the gasket out of line hence it started to fail and leak oil and stink

Advertisement