Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much effect on insurance premium does having a UK drivers licence have?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a UK drivers licence and have just spoken to one of the insurers regarding a renewal. I was told that having the UK licence hikes the premium with the difference between having an Irish licence and a UK licence about EUR 160 extra. Car is an 08 primera.

Has anyone else experienced this size of difference?

Thanks

cannco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not sure, but when my g/f (now wife) was learning to drive when we were both about 30, it was cheaper to have her and her irish learner licence as the main driver on our 1.3l fiesta than it was for me with 13+ years of a UK licence, so something is definitely wrong with that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I think the loading is about 7% or something, from memory. (My girlfriend went through the same thing with an EU license)

Your policy is basically loaded because they can't apply penalty points to your license...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Im pretty sure they can apply points, they can for speeding anyway, have been able to for a few years now. If you get banned for driving in the UK or in ROI, you will be banned from both places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I have a German license and, years ago, my insurance company told me I was going to be loaded to the tune of 25%. Enquired at the ombudsman and was told it is illegal to load any license issued in the EU. Went back to ny insurer and loading was hastily withdrawn, so there is something to it. Don't have a link at the moment, will see if I can find something, but short answer, you should not be charged any more than a license issued here. If you are being loaded, someone is chancing their arm for a bit of extra cash for themselves.

It's never made any difference to my premiums anyway, same as they would have been with an Irish licence. I've heard of other EU licences getting a bit of a loading alright but I think UK ones are treated the same as irish ones.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's never made any difference to my premiums anyway, same as they would have been with an Irish licence. I've heard of other EU licences getting a bit of a loading alright but I think UK ones are treated the same as irish ones.

Not my German one. See post above.

Advertisement