Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you actually survive a zombie plauge

Options
  • 31-10-2014 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

How exactly would you survive this.

Me personally would get as much sharp objects as I could and go to a shopping center and lock in for a while. Or go to a motor showroom and get the biggest rig I could.

We dont have loads of (apparently easy to find) guns like they do in the states, but would it really help.

I would find a small housing estate also and ensure all walls at the back were high, maybe make them higher if possible then barricade the front

How hard can it be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Yep, I live on a farm near on the coast in an old norman settlement area, the normans set the place up to be impregnable over 800 years ago, I figure if we rally the parish together we can have our own Terminus safe haven for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

First few weeks would be do-able, after that food starts being scarce and tinned stuff doesn't last forever. City living is out, suburbs shortly after that so i'm probably boned on those two fronts.

Also being asthmatic and another condition preventing me from consuming most fruit and veg would mean i'd probably have to be like Gareth from Terminus too.. rather take my chances at home and do what the Samurai of old would consider the honourable thing when the last of the food is gone.

We'd be the opposite, if the outbreak started now the first few months would be the toughest, food stocks are at their lowest and farming cant start in earnest til spring, also most of the defensive structures would have to be built in that time along with the recomissioning of essential infrastructure and the creation of new ones. Come the following summer we would be self sufficient, about the same time the urbanites ran out of all provisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

You would have to trade on for supplies for the first while.

I wonder would people become utter dicks like they do in the walking dead, or would us Irish survive a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fitzgooble

After giving it way too much thought I think it would go down something like this...
    Round up the surviving friends and family, grab food and medical supplies, head for Haulbowline naval base and grab necessary weapons (personnal choice would be a crossbow, Beretta 9mm and 12 gauge tactical shotty) pop over to Spike Island, throw the kettle on, simple! I live in Cork BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am barricading myself into the Central Mental Clinic in Dundrum, once I somehow chase all the walkers, I mean patients, out. It has food, medicine, own water supply, cells for peaceful sleeping, land for crops, big gates and walls. Course I have to get there first.

Plan B is to lock myself into the house and live off what the cat can catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

fitzgooble wrote: »
    After giving it way too much thought I think it would go down something like this...
    Round up the surviving friends and family, grab food and medical supplies, head for Haulbowline naval base and grab necessary weapons (personnal choice would be a crossbow, Beretta 9mm and 12 gauge tactical shotty) pop over to Spike Island, throw the kettle on, simple! I live in Cork BTW.

Do you think the Navy would just hand out the weapons to a civilian just because they asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fitzgooble

Well I'd actually swing by TW Murrays on Patrick St. first to grab hunting and fishing supplies and any weapons I could get me mits on, then the Navy base to politely 'ask' them for some semi automatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mathrew

I'll grab food, medical supplies and weapons, together with my family and girlfriend(of course :D). I'd prefer a weapon like samurai, it doesn't need to load bullets(less worries), and a bow(arrows are recyclable. haha).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 CurvesAndBoots

Theres 6 million people in Ireland though, so whoever isnt a Zombie would be looking to do the same thing - board up in a shopping centre/barracks/deserted Island...plus because we're such a small Island, if somewhere like say the states decided it was easier to just nuke us, than to get rid of the zombie population, our best bet would be to get on a boat and head out into the atlantic and try to survive out there....

I'd never survive though, I'm not a runner. If there was a zombie attack I'd probably be the first to go, then be selfish and change everyone I loved into a zombie too, so we could be together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

If they are sprinters like rage infected I think we are all pretty much fecked.

If they are slow ala Romero/Walking Dead you could certainly survive for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

"Would you actually survive a zombie plague"

Of course. I'd just wake up... as a zombie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'd survive for the first few weeks fine (I live in the sticks, and guns/livestock are plentiful here).

I would not survive the flood of desperate urban dwellers and the zombies chasing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Anyone who lives in the countryside would be sound, imagine a walker trying to climb over miles of fences and drains and if they make it onto the actual road a few spins on the tractor would smush them up good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

JJayoo wrote: »
    Anyone who lives in the countryside would be sound, imagine a walker trying to climb over miles of fences and drains and if they make it onto the actual road a few spins on the tractor would smush them up good.

This is an excellent point in an Irish context because unlike America there is very little open land in Ireland that isn't all fenced off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The big question is how long will the zombies last. If they stay alive for a few years and they're the fast zombies, then probably not! If they stay alive for a month and are the slower ones, then yes. And is everyone infected at once, so 99% of zombies are gone within the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You would have to set up killing areas, lure them into an open area using a radio and maybe a few scarecrows hanging up of the ground, then once you get enough in the area the crew moves in, transporting one person to the killing vehicle, which would be left in the field.

Or you could dig numerous deep holes and hang the scarecrows over it with the cd player blasting, zombies fall in hole and once it gets full fill it in with a digger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Cienciano wrote: »
    The big question is how long will the zombies last. If they stay alive for a few years and they're the fast zombies, then probably not! If they stay alive for a month and are the slower ones, then yes. And is everyone infected at once, so 99% of zombies are gone within the month?

Can't think of one zombie film where the zombies were only around for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

hexosan wrote: »
    Can't think of one zombie film where the zombies were only around for a month

I'm not talking about a film here. I'm talking about real life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

I live beside a primary school that has really strong (and tall) metal gates. There's no way they would get through it. So presuming the sh1t didn't hit the fan while the school was full I'd head in there straight away.

Also, because of the gates I would start killing them all one by one through the bars of the gates. Even a sweeping brush with a sharpened end would do the trick. Get a few of you doing that for a few hours a day and within a week the local neighborhood should be fairly clear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

There are old people living beside us and across the road from us. They'll serve as distraction during the initial outbreak and will be of little consequence when turned....who'd fear a zombie with no teeth?

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm not talking about a film here. I'm talking about real life

i think the walking dead has the most plausible scenario, they can lie dormant until some form of prey awakens them
    I live beside a primary school that has really strong (and tall) metal gates. There's no way they would get through it. So presuming the sh1t didn't hit the fan while the school was full I'd head in there straight away.

Also, because of the gates I would start killing them all one by one through the bars of the gates. Even a sweeping brush with a sharpened end would do the trick. Get a few of you doing that for a few hours a day and within a week the local neighborhood should be fairly clear!!
    Or you get a big ramp of corpses that makes it easier to be overrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Tzar Chasm wrote: »

Or you get a big ramp of corpses that makes it easier to be overrun.

Good point!! Perhaps setting them all on fire would be a better idea.

Good point!! Perhaps setting them all on fire would be a better idea.

A flaming ramp of Z would set fire to everything they walk into. It would take a Zak a long time to go down from burning.

A flaming ramp of Z would set fire to everything they walk into. It would take a Zak a long time to go down from burning.

Obviously they wouldnt be walking, what with them being dispatched beforehand.

but it could get hot enough to weaken the iron gates

Obviously they wouldnt be walking, what with them being dispatched beforehand.

but it could get hot enough to weaken the iron gates

Ah right. I dont think the fire would burn hot enough to damage the iron you would be looking at 700C+ to weaken the iron according to the interwebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

When I lived in Ireland, I had a fair to middling chance to survive. Now I live in a large urban area and would probably be pretty fooked. My place is virtually Zed proofed so I'd probably die from lack of water/food.

I think I may have to move or start stocking up.

Advertisement