Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT or tax first

Options
  • 31-10-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just bought a car from my brother who is emigrating and the tax is out 6 months and no NCT on car. Which must be got first, tax or NCT? I am in no hurry to use the car as I am giving it to my daughter for xmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

auldgranny wrote: »
    Hi. Just bought a car from my brother who is emigrating and the tax is out 6 months and no NCT on car. Which must be got first, tax or NCT? I am in no hurry to use the car as I am giving it to my daughter for xmas.

Doesn't matter. You can get them in any order you want.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Whether it is completely legal i dont know but i would nct first and once it passes that, then go for tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

CiniO wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. You can get them in any order you want.

I won't be refused taxing the car without NCT documentation then. Thought I needed that.

inforfun wrote: »
    Whether it is completely legal i dont know but i would nct first and once it passes that, then go for tax.

Seems like a good plan. Then no need to tax it till roadworthy.

Well it is roadworthy but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Seems like a good plan. Then no need to tax it till roadworthy.

Well it is roadworthy but you know what I mean.

You'll most probably have to back tax it though from the day you brought it after the nct is done?

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    You'll most probably have to back tax it though from the day you brought it after the nct is done?

Yes I understand that. I won't have to pay six months back tax though will I?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes I understand that. I won't have to pay six months back tax though will I?

No only from the date it was transfered into your name.

Advertisement