Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online coaching?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anybody used online coaching before and if so what their experience of it was?

I have so much training details and feedback in the form of my garmin data- I would love to have it reviewed and chewed over by a coach to give some insights into where I'm going wrong (and to a lesser extent right).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I know ThebitterLemon used it for a while.
    Maybe drop him a PM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Never used an online coach but its something I have been considered so would be great to get feedback here from those like TbL who have experience of it. Stuff like how specific/generic are the plans, how detailed are they are how much interaction you have with the online coach? Oh and being a Cavan man most importantly - how much does it cost?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I was coached online 3 years ago, though it was a different setup then usual (he refused to get paid!)

It really brought me on as a runner. More important than the actual coaching at the time was the fact that I eventually understood the system myself and was able to continue using it with good success even when I returned to self coaching.

The biggest problem is that there are a lot of spoofers out there. If you go down that road make absolutely sure it is something you can trust blindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I was coached online 3 years ago, though it was a different setup then usual (he refused to get paid!)

It really brought me on as a runner. More important than the actual coaching at the time was the fact that I eventually understood the system myself and was able to continue using it with good success even when I returned to self coaching.

The biggest problem is that there are a lot of spoofers out there. If you go down that road make absolutely sure it is something you can trust blindly.

Like anything even without money changing hands your should be getting references or do your own research of some sort. The person being good at the sport doesn't mean they are a good coach also. I know someone who was coached by an elite level triathlete and it didn't help. It wasn't for lack of commitment on their side.

Personally I was contacted by a few people on here a few years after feeling sorry for myself in my poor marathon result. Anyways I didn't go with the most accomplished athlete. The reason was that the person I went with seemed the best fit for me. They were married and had kids, job etc and knew that how that can play into training etc. Looking back on it was a decision I am happy with. Balance is important no matter what your level. Its fine to think you need the best coach but the best coach may not be the best fit for you also. For me I need someone to keep an eye on what I am doing. For example this week I am sick. I would have run each day like there was nothing wrong instead of taking time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I would certainly agree with ROM and everyone else regarding getting a coach for all the reasons the highlighted.

The 1st thing you need to ask youself is what do you expect a coach to do for you.
    Eg long term development, plan for a half marathon or marathon etc.
    If it's the former then imo you need to be in very regular contact ie weekly phone call + a number of emails etc, as so many things can change within a month it wouldn't serve you any good to get a monthly plan.
    Other things I would take into account is what type of coach are they.
    I know a a so call great coach that has multiple national champs in his stable. Which on paper or on his web makes for great reading. What the Web site doesn't say is how many athletes are after breaking down under his guidance.
    What in put do you want from a coach. Training plan? Nutrition? S &C etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Thanks folks, plenty of food for thought. Will do some research and take it from there.

Advertisement