Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Entitled or not

Options
  • 31-10-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭

If you grew up in a certain area and looking back from a lofty distance you see that you parents were able to buy in that area, with only the income from what you perceive as 'ordinary' jobs, you haven't a hope of affording a house in the area you grew up in despite that fact that you have a much better career that your parents had.

Is it self entitled to expect to be able to afforded to buy in the area you grew up in..... or do you think anyone who cant afforded to buy where they grew up has a genuine grievance with how Irish society has turned out for them.

I know it a bit of a first world problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

No.

Times change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Yes a little.

Purchasing a home in an expensive area should be an aspiration, not an expectation.

Life is what you make it.
    If one cannot afford their aspirations it isn't societies fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Families are always rising and falling in America!

And areas are doing the same in Ireland I suppose!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Few throw rugs at the top of the stairs, some dodgy wiring. You'll have a house in no-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd say the parents are so disappointed in that child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, there is nothing to say you should be able to (or entitled to) buy in an area just because you grew up there.

Irish entitlement gone mad?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

biko wrote: »
    Yes, there is nothing to say you should be able to (or entitled to) buy in an area just because you grew up there.

Irish entitlement gone mad?

If you have no means the council will house you in that area for almost for free yet if you're self sufficient & have pride you'll have to move 40 miles away, that seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Your parents on lower income jobs would not have afforded a house in the affluent area of town when they were first buying.
    You would imagine that when your parents originally bought the house, that it was a lower to middle class area which time and circumstances have changed the localities attractiveness to buyers.
    The same may happen to the house you're settling for now.
    Now...out of town, working class starter.
    Twenty years time... middle-class, suburban des-res

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Yes a little.

Purchasing a home in an expensive area should be an aspiration, not an expectation.

Life is what you make it.
    If one cannot afford their aspirations it isn't societies fault.

But say it was not an expensive area when the parents purchased their house, it was an area of new estates developed mostly in the 70's and 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

mariaalice wrote: »
    But say it was not an expensive area when the parents purchased their house, it was an area of new estates developed mostly in the 70's and 80's.

Ok , I'll name that area now.
    Is it Lucan ? Did I win ?

• Advertisement

Times change, populations grow, demand grows.

Society doesn't owe you an apology for your birthplace being now more expensive/desirable compared to a generation ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I dont believe we have any sort of normal property market. It seems that we are hell bent on keeping prices high at the expense of those that enter the property market later. I would like to know how prices of over 500k are achievable or stable. Are people buying these based on dual incomes with thirty year mortgages? Are there that many people earning over 100k?

Potatoeman wrote: »
    It seems that we are hell bent on keeping prices high

What price would you prefer properties be sold at?

To note as well OP.

Compared to a generation ago, the population of Dublin is now 250,000 higher.

Compared to a generation ago the population of greater Dublin is now 450,000 higher.

Dublin/Greater Dublin is far from crowded, however there is still pressure on living space.
    The game has changed, its no ones fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

When I was over in the States 25 yrs ago the norm was for people to rent their houses or apartments and only a few were able to buy. Most that did but worked two or even three jobs to pay back the mortgage and fees in a good area.

One guy I met was a landscape gardener who had two trucks on the road full time and also did jobs for the town and the local schools and golf clubs etc. His partner worked two jobs one full time and one part time to get to live in a good area. Most residents were upper professionals who could afford to live there one one income but the ordinary people had to work two jobs to do so.

The mortgages are typically 20 yr to 25 yr and most people aspire to pay off the debt as quickly as they can in order to be free of debt by their 50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

For a long time children's economic situation outdid that of their parents. For instance even relatively recently, in the 70s/80s/90s, young couples who may have grown up in a small 2up2down not far from a town centre moved into decent suburban 3-bed semis and out-of-town bungalows. This was the norm.

Our generation is the first reversal of that. We have to accept it. Well, we can moan about it in online fora first, then we have to accept it.

topper75 wrote: »
    For a long time children's economic situation outdid that of their parents. For instance even relatively recently, in the 70s/80s/90s, young couples who may have grown up in a small 2up2down not far from a town centre moved into decent suburban 3-bed semis and out-of-town bungalows. This was the norm.

Our generation is the first reversal of that. We have to accept it. Well, we can moan about it in online fora first, then we have to accept it.

Society is changing and becoming more defuse, you read one article saying the middle class is declining, work is becoming more insecure ect no matter what qualifications you have, another article says society is becoming more wealthy.

I can see the point of how some people think their contract with society has changed i.e it use to be do well in school go to university = a ticked to secure future and a middle class lifestyle that's not the case anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

What price would you prefer properties be sold at?

Its the general agenda to get people out of NE that sees people entering the market later pay through the nose. I have no issue with a free market but you have to take the bad with the good i.e. reposessions, value fluctuations without NAMA as a saftey net etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

The way I see it, when parents have children and they hope that their children will grow up to become a successful professional in whatever field it is and would be well off, better than themselves just so they can have a better lifestyle than their parents. This then becomes an expectation so parents would expect their kids to do well in the future.

However, there are some parents who want their children to be just happy regardless of whether they are rich or poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Its very unfair but its how things are now.

In my mam and Dads time you got into a good job, you were treated like a human, you had a boss who was the actual boss and there was no such thing as 4 hour contracts that might be really 40 hour contracts except when its quiet business. No such thing as trial weeks or yearly contracts.

My mam doesn't understand this at all, she assumed once I got into a job that was it, she cant understand why I cant just go in and speak to the owner or that there isn't an owner living in Ireland or that I'm just a number and they don't give a ****e if I'm a good worker or not!

She is obsessed with my OH getting into this magical job for life, she doesn't realise there are no jobs for life anymore.

The same goes for mortgages, theirs was 20 thousand, they had it paid by the time I was in Secondry school, same houses are now 230 grand. I couldn't afford to buy there, my brother has a fantastic well paying business, huge savings and cant get a mortgage at all!

My folks cant understand how they going into the bank manager and pleading his case didn't work. The bank manager was the head of the show in their time, now he answers to a bigger show, so he cant make allowances or fudge a few facts.

The world and how it works is 100% different to how it was a generation ago.
    Its just changed so fast, were kind of caught in the middle of it.

• Advertisement

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    The way I see it, when parents have children and they hope that their children will grow up to become a successful professional in whatever field it is and would be well off, better than themselves just so they can have a better lifestyle than their parents. This then becomes an expectation so parents would expect their kids to do well in the future.

However, there are some parents who want their children to be just happy regardless of whether they are rich or poor.

Every parent wants their child to be happy, nor do most parents want their chid to do better than themselves it more a case of running to stand still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I leave this excellent piece of dialogue from the critically acclaimed Critters 4 here

Counsellor Tetra: Things change Charlie, . . .things change.

Charlie: So do people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I leave this excellent piece of dialogue from the critically acclaimed Critters 4 here

Counsellor Tetra: Things change Charlie, . . .things change.

Charlie: So do people.
    Should have got an Oscar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

jamo2oo9 wrote: »

Every parent wants their child to be happy, nor do most parents want their chid to do better than themselves it more a case of running to stand still.

I think it's quite sad that people conflate "doing well" with living in a particular area.

Apologies if that's not what is being implied in the quoted posts.

smash wrote: »
    Should have got an Oscar!

Vastly underrated movie franchise.

Vastly underrated movie franchise.
    Agreed. And don't even get me started on Tremors!

Actually despite everything, society is far more equal and fairer today, I was listing to a very interesting documentary about family's of stone masons in Dublin and how apprenticeships were only given out to family members as being a stone mason was a ticket to a good livelihood, it wasn't just entry to the profession that was restricted and there was huge emigration.

In that sort of society a smal elite did very well but it was at the expense of everyone else.

smash wrote: »
    Agreed. And don't even get me started on Tremors!

Tremors is one of the all time greats, the sequels were all a bit meh.

Critters maintained the same consistency throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I have family that bought a house in Dundrum which sits surrently on 1.6 acres of land, aside from the GFA of the house. All in all about 2 acres of land in Dundrum.

I think they paid some small silly money back in 1980s for it. Worth a bundle now I would say and non of the kids could afford a shoebox in the place now

• Advertisement

allibastor wrote: »
    I have family that bought a house in Dundrum which sits surrently on 1.6 acres of land, aside from the GFA of the house. All in all about 2 acres of land in Dundrum.

I think they paid some small silly money back in 1980s for it. Worth a bundle now I would say and non of the kids could afford a shoebox in the place now
    Yea but what's that got to do with Critters 4?

Advertisement