Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good sports headphones for Windows Phone?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

I have a Nokia Lumia 1520 and use Spotify downloads in offline mode when out cycling. I use left ear only and put it in only when I’ve reached the hills and am out of the main traffic – with one ear free I can still hear approaching traffic etc. and this works well for me.

For long >4hr spins, having tunes is really helpful for motivation but not being able to adjust volume or skip tracks is a bit of a pain. Are there good sports (i.e. can handle sweat and rain) headphones that work well and provide volume control and skipping tracks in Windows Phone 8.1? Something that stays in the ear and doesn’t fall out easily would be ideal. Guess I’d default to wired, but the battery on the 1520 lasts so long I wouldn’t have concerns about using Bluetooth headphones if there’s better options available there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nokia do some but not water proof. http://www.puritybymonster.com/#page_in-ear

I think any Android compatible ones will work, but not iPhone ones. But I've never tested them myself.

Is a Lumia 1520 not a massive phablet phone? Would you not be better with some cheap small phone or mp3 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks. yeh, the 1520 is huge but I love it and the size doesn't bother me at all - it goes in a cycling jersey pocket with waterproof cover. Had thought of getting a small MP3 player but I'm going to be bringing my phone with me on training rides anyway and I struggle to get around to organising the music on my phone, so keeping it to organising tunes on one device rather than two is handier.

Those Nokia headphones look good but they don't seem to have ability to skip tracks, only pause and play music. I tend to download a full playlist (e.g. Workout Mix) from Spotify and so sometimes there's dud tunes I want to skip over so really need that functionality - nothing like struggling up a hill and then Boney M or something comes on to totally wreck your head, motivating it ain't!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I was in a similar boat to you op, I listen to Spotify on my 630 when working out and wanted a cheap pair of in-ear headphones to use. I initially got these I was in a similar boat to you op, I listen to Spotify on my 630 when working out and wanted a cheap pair of in-ear headphones to use. I initially got these Philips ones but no inline remote was a pain. So ended up with these JVC ones, very cheap but the sound quality is still fine. I've never used them in the rain but they've no problem with sweat anyway. They let you pause, play, skip forwards and backwards. Note the inline remote is on the wire for the right ear piece.

Slightly off topic but is there anyway to turn off shuffle play in Spotify on Windows phone? I pressed that Shuffle Play button to test it but now its permanently stuck on. Pain in the arse. Probably something stupid I missing. :o

Those JVC look interesting. I can find no mention of inline controls anywhere for them. Are you sure thats the right model no. EB75 ?

Meelec do some. http://www.meelec.com/Sport_Fi_s/397.htm. I have a set of older cheaper non sport ones, the fit is great for sports, but the sound is just so so. Haven't tried their more expensive ones.

beauf wrote: »
    Those JVC look interesting. I can find no mention of inline controls anywhere for them. Are you sure thats the right model no. EB75 ?

Sorry let me double check, on tablet atm. I actually got my JVC ones in Tescos but are identical to the Argos pic. Could be different model as you say.

• Advertisement

Yep you're correct beauf, mine are HA-EBR80, not the same model as the Argos ones. Trying to remember, I think they were around 20 odd euro when I got them. They're grand if you're not looking to spend lots on headphones for exercising with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I was in a similar boat to you op, I listen to Spotify on my 630 when working out and wanted a cheap pair of in-ear headphones to use. I initially got these I was in a similar boat to you op, I listen to Spotify on my 630 when working out and wanted a cheap pair of in-ear headphones to use. I initially got these Philips ones but no inline remote was a pain. So ended up with these JVC ones, very cheap but the sound quality is still fine. I've never used them in the rain but they've no problem with sweat anyway. They let you pause, play, skip forwards and backwards. Note the inline remote is on the wire for the right ear piece.

Slightly off topic but is there anyway to turn off shuffle play in Spotify on Windows phone? I pressed that Shuffle Play button to test it but now its permanently stuck on. Pain in the arse. Probably something stupid I missing. :o

Thanks, I've gone ahead and taken a punt on ordering the Meelec S6P as it looks like the remote can skip tracks.

Yes, you can play Spotify in shuffle mode - when you're playing a track, it should be shown in a Now Playing bar at the bottom of the screen - click that and it brings you to the Now Playing screen and you can see Shuffle and Repeat options down the bottom. Haven't been able to figure out how to see what is in the current Now Playing queue though so if you figure that out, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

If the headphones have play/pause capability then you can skip tracks with a quick double click of the button.

Let us know how you get on with them. The onscreen controls are so rubbish in Windows Phone be handy to have the controls on a cord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Actually I should mention that the headphones I use are iPhone ones. Haven't tried the microphone but can answer calls and play/pause/change tracks with the button. Volume control doesn't work though.

I have a Lumia 930.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I've gone ahead and taken a punt on ordering the Meelec S6P as it looks like the remote can skip tracks.

Yes, you can play Spotify in shuffle mode - when you're playing a track, it should be shown in a Now Playing bar at the bottom of the screen - click that and it brings you to the Now Playing screen and you can see Shuffle and Repeat options down the bottom. Haven't been able to figure out how to see what is in the current Now Playing queue though so if you figure that out, let me know!

Just popped back into this thread to say on the back of beauf's earlier post I also ordered the Meelec S6P - got them from Amazon here. They arrived this morning and have been listening to them for the last while (Spotify on the Lumia 630). They're excellent! Far better than the JVC jobbies I mentioned. The fit in the ear is great and the memory wire works very well. Sound quality is very good imo. The accessories are decent too - nice case, armband thing and plenty of ear pieces if the default ones don't suit. Delighted with them so far. Cheers for the link beauf! :)

Glad they worked out. When I got the regular Meelec M6 they came with a nice case. They broke after about 2yrs but I wasn't very gentle with them. I used them for my off road cycling. Like a set with controls now. Might get a set myself. They are not expensive earphones so that has to taken into consideration if comparing them with other earphones.

The Meelec US site has offers from time to time, worth subscribing you their list, and I had no problem with delivery to Ireland. But I only bought cheap ones. Customs might catch the more expensive ones these days.

Advertisement