Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled parking permit and advise.

Options
  • 31-10-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some advise. I'm 7 weeks post op from spinal surgery which has left me with acute neurological problems down both legs, which means I have a lot of difficulty walking. No one know if this will be permanent or temporary and I'm being given estimated of a year to 18 months to recover and see what functality I am left with. I'm not on crutches anymore but still very unstable on my feet and have no strength for long distances etc. I've changed my car to an automatic so I can get around and be as independent as possible. I'm thinking of applying for a disabled parking permit but not really sure if I would qualify...anyone know if my situation would merit a permit?

Also looking for advise on help with medical expenses..as this my second surgery for the same condition, my first time round I was young and caught of guard with no health insurance, as I have not been clear for the min time frame for pre existing illness I was unable to get insurance to cover it this time round.
    My expenses are racking up with GP, physio, medical devices, traveling to app etc. (I am paying to see private physio as the first public app would not be until April 2015, leaving me out of work and on illness benefit for over 7 months with mortgage to pay etc it was not possible to wait for public physio app..apart from the fact the longer I wait for physio the less likely I will get functionality back..vicious circle really!
    I know I can claim 20% back on my med1 from but is there any other assistance available to me? I do not qualify for a med card or gp visit card.
    I know I'm not the only in a situation like this, so not looking for any special treatment..just guidance on services available to me..thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Under the Disabled Parking Permit scheme people who are (a) Primary Medical Certificate holders or (b) registered blind, are automatically eligibility to avail of the scheme. You must, however, formally apply.

If you do not meet the criteria automatically under these two categories you will be required to (c) visit a certified medical practitioner to have your application form completed.

a) Primary Medical Certificate Holders

The Primary Medical Certificate is issued by the HSE and states a person’s primary medical condition. For the application you will be required to enclose either:

A copy of your Primary Medical Certificate or
    A copy of your Vehicle Registration Certificate detailing the tax exemptions.
    An application Form for a Primary Medical Certificate can be obtained from your Local Health Office. You must complete the application form and return it to the Senior Medical Officer in your Local Health Office. The Senior Medical Officer will then appoint a HSE doctor to visit your home to carry out an assessment of the level of your disability. If you meet the medical criteria, you are then granted a Primary Medical Certificate by the Health Service Executive (HSE).

b) People who are registered blind are required to enclose a form certified by the National Council for the Blind. The required form can be obtained from the Irish Wheelchair Association or your local NCBI office. The certified form will need to be attached to the parking permit application. www.ncbi.ie

c) People who are not holders of the Primary Medical Certificate or registered blind, are required to have their application form completed by a certified medical practitioner. On receipt of the application form you need to make an appointment with a certified medical practitioner. See How to apply

The certified medical practitioner will conduct the assessment within the statutory definitions of the eligibility criteria for the Disabled Parking Permit scheme. The 2010 regulations state that a Disabled Parking Permit is granted to:

a person with a permanent condition or disability that severely restricts their ability to walk
    This statutory definition is inclusive of a range of conditions which restrict mobility, for example lung and heart conditions.

The review of the Disabled Parking Scheme, SI 239/2011 Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) Regulations 2011 significantly changed the medical criteria to enhance the scheme by focusing more on the level of mobility impairment.

The above was taken from this website: http://www.iwa.ie/services/motoring/disabled-parking-permit-scheme

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement