Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I set up TV in Ireland

Options
  • 31-10-2014 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Hi

Moving to Ireland in the new year and want to set up TV in my new home, I only really want RTE and BBC 1,2,3 and 4 plus C4 and C5 so don't really need a SKY box I think? what is the cheapest way to do this?

Many thanks
    Zelda

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

For RTÉ you will need Saorview. Your TV might be compatible. If not a set top box will be required. The UK channels you mention are FTA on satellite. Depending on where you move to you might be able to get a freeview signal from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Moving to Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dpat1l

No chance of UK overspill then. If I'm not mistaken, what you'll need is a Saorview approved TV, or a TV or STB for capable of decoding the Saorview MPEG-4 signal. That will get the RTÉs... To get BBC, ITV, Ch4 etc you'll need a standard FTA or Freesat STB (FTA will only get Now and Next; Freesat will give full 7 day EPG), with a satellite dish pointed to the satellite cluster at 28E (Astra2 etc?) ... I'm not the best for this, others will give better advice but that's what you need as I understand it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

That sounds good so no monthly charges then and i just pay the tv licence?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    That sounds good so no monthly charges then and i just pay the tv licence?

That's right. Once you've got the kit described there's no ongoing charge except the licence fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The most important thing you will need is a TV licence.

Don't want to end up in jail!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Could you live with the shame of having no licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Advertisement