Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to conduct a polite air intercept

Options
  • 31-10-2014 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

Just because you might be about to blow the guy out of the sky doesn't mean you can't be polite about it!!

http://audioboom.com/boos/2606298-raf-jets-force-latvian-cargo-plane-to-land-at-stansted-airport?

"“MLA1605 from the L9T47, I’m instructed by Her Majesty’s government of the UK to warn you if you do not respond you will be shot down”"

On Oct. 29, two RAF Typhoon fighter jets were scrambled from RAF Coningsby airbase, and flew at supersonic speeds across the UK to intercept a Latvian Antonov An-26 cargo plane that took an unauthorized detour over London causing concern to civil air traffic control.

The two Eurofighter warplanes on QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) reached the Russian-built cargo plane (registration YL-RAA) on its way to Birmingham airport and forced it to land at Stansted airport.

Interestingly, the pilot of the lead RAF Typhoon (radio callsign “L9T47″) which intercepted the Latvian plane (callsign MLA1605) radioed warning the three-man crew on board the foreign plane to listen to military instructions or risk being ‘shot down’.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They went supersonic over land apparently, which caused a fair bit of concern in Essex. I bet the pilots couldn't believe their luck.

Is it just me getting old, or does that pilot sound very young!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

They went supersonic over land apparently, which caused a fair bit of concern in Essex. I bet the pilots couldn't believe their luck.

The pilots out of Valley go supersonic over north wales a fair bit, so probably not that excited about it, just a few more people around to notice it

Advertisement