Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WKD Hurdle Down Royal Friday 31st

Options
  • 30-10-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭

Interesting looking race this and i think there'll be plenty of future winners to come out of it and there's a case to be made for most if not all the field to go close.

The 2 to start with are the 2 Grade 1 winning 4 year old's Tiger Roll and Guitar Pete who have an 8lb penalty for their grade 1 victories.

Guitar Pete had a fruitful Juvenile campaign winning grade 1's at Leopardstown and Aintree(remember that Carberry ride) and looked/looks to have a big future ahead but his run at Limerick was disappointing and although he's sure to improve he'll need to to play a major part in what looks a race full of promise.

Tiger roll had his 1st run for Gordon Elliott in the grade 1 Guitar Pete won last winter (finishing 2nd) so that shows the esteem Gordon holds TR in,after that run he was adamant TR would defeat GP at Cheltenham and he was correct as TR won the Triumph Hurdle in impressive style.
    His 1st run this season was against Calipto a highly regarded animal of Paul Nicholls' and Tiger Roll beat him well conceding weight despite rumours TR had been left plenty to work on fitness wise. He's sure to attract supporters tomorrow and i'd put noone off backing him although giving weight to older horses is a slight concern.

Next up we've got the 2 Willie Mullins horses both with the same owner so the betting could help here.

Arctic fire's a hard one to get to grips with, he was 2nd in the County hurdle before winning a race at Punchestown which was pretty much a penalty kick for him. It will be interesting to see how much he improved over the summer as he never really excited me so far and i see he's currently a 7/4 favourite for the race although the Willie/Ruby combo i'm sure is playing a part.

Wicklow Brave was a horse with a lot of hype behind him last year and his 1st 2 hurdles runs showed why with him showing a serious engine despite not jumping particularly well, he went to Cheltenham with high hopes but only finished 6th and had a poor run at Fairyhouse before falling at Punchestown but hopefully that was just a case of him having enough after a tough race after Cheltenham. If he has sorted his jumping he could be a real good animal and of the 2 Mullins horses i'd be siding with him and i can't see him going off 15/2 tomorrow.

Now the 3 outsiders,

Orgilgo Bay was placed in the Fred Winter at Cheltenham and the winner of that race Hawk high went on to win a good looking hurdle at Aintree last week so the form looks smart.
    As for Orgilgo bay himself he's been consistent on the flat and over hurdles since then and won a valuable handicap hurdle at Listowel off top weight before losing at odds on on his last run when going off to quick,he's as good a jumper as you're likely to see over hurdles and could run well tomorrow if that's the plan but i suspect he could be a horse for a big handicap later in the season such as the Ladbroke at Ascot or the County hurdle at Cheltenham.

Little King Robin is an in form Mare but it would be a surprise to see her being quite good enough to win here as she's been beating inferior animals to what she faces today although a combination of her form, race fitness and her front running could leave her in good stead to pick up some prize money.

King of the picts is the 1 i don't think has any chance of winning this race,he's a good horse but i don't think he's got the room for imrpovement some of the others have(just a gut feeling) and not having run in 6 months leaves me to think this is just a case of getting a run in and hoping to pick up a bit of prize money.

Anyone have any opinions regarding this race? I was going to punt Tiger roll but giving weight to older horses and the price of 9/4 leave me thinking i'll sit him out. If i do decide to have a punt between now and then it could be a back to lay of Wicklow brave as he's likely to travel well for a long way. Let's hope it's a good race no matter how the result goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Cracking race, a serious test for Tiger Roll and I hope hes good enough. That said, guitar pete looked equally promosing as a juvenile and is probably the value call between the two. Little king robin should put in a good show but you would think the mare is way out of depth here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Shame there are only the 7 runners, would like Guitar Pete each way if there were 8. Same story with the 1:35pm which also has just the 7 runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Have been told that Zunera in the opener at Dundalk is a penalty kick, 11/10 a skinny enough price, but was told defeat was out of the question. Going to double this with Goldencents at 6/5 which I feel is about as close to a banker as you can get today. €1 to pay back €4.62.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Have word for black zambezi in the last today. Hot enough race though so would not go mad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Have word for black zambezi in the last today. Hot enough race though so would not go mad

What meeting?

EDIT: Scrap that was looking at something different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Get the **** in. We've a full sister to Little King Robin and the dam. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Little king robin outbattles Arctic fire who looked all over the winner,well done to all involved. Tiger roll,pullled up hopefully he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Johner wrote: »
    Get the **** in. We've a full sister to Little King Robin and the dam. :)

Nice 1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Star mare!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

She's a nice mare Johner. Arctic Fire done at 1.02

All aboard the Glassatura express. Choo Choo

• Advertisement

Mark Walsh says the mares murdle at Cheltenham is the target. Best odds in from 20/1 to 10/1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Good round of jumping from Apache Stronghold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Big bet on Glassatura myself PC, good to see you're on that wagon too.

I love Apache Stronghold. Fingers crossed he stays injury free this year.

Thought it was given a great ride but had nothing in the tank when it came around the straight.

What is it with people hating money. Look at the market graph for the 6.40 Dundalk, huge drift on Caged Lightening who was fav now 7.4. Someone has actually backed him at 1.95 and there's 200 at evens been traded. Even if this horse was fancied it is never an evens shot

No more passengers please. The train is leaving the station

CHOO CHOO

Ya ****in daisy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

CHOO CHOO

Hero !

CHOO CHOO

You laid Caged Lightning??

Chesty08 wrote: »
    You laid Caged Lightning??

He laid the field bar Glassatura baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Merry Mast to make my weekend Merry in the next at Dundalk, 11/2.

shmeee wrote: »
    Merry Mast to make my weekend Merry in the next at Dundalk, 11/2.

Well feck him, wouldn't leave the stalls.

shmeee wrote: »
    Well feck him, wouldn't leave the stalls.

Money back? :)

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Money back? :)

Not with bet365 anyway.

I know Boyles give money back if comes under orders and refuses to start!

Advertisement