Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor debiting my bank account five months after cancelling the contract

Options
  • 30-10-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I cancelled my monthly contract with Meteor last May before moving to Germany. In June there was no Meteor debit on my Irish account so I presumed everything was ok. I now realise that since July Meteor have continued to debit my account without emailing me any billing notifications (which I received via paperless billing up until May).

I called customer services today and the guy said something about a note on my account that acknowledged the cancellation but that it was 'pending' an email to the 'account cancellation' department, which I had previously never been asked to do. He also told me that the money would not be refunded.

I emailed the address he gave me outlining the situation and requesting that the debiting be stopped immediately and asked that they refund the money taken from my account since May.

I was emailed back from Cancellations(at)meteor.ie and told to call customer support and that they would guide me through the process (which they wouldn't do half an hour earlier)...obviously just a strategy to bounce me around as long as possible, not cancel the payments and try to squeeze some more cash out before anything is clarified.

I've been a customer with Meteor for years, I'm really annoyed that they're now bleeding my account long after I cancelled it.

What I'm not sure about is how I can make a case for a refund when I don't have the cancellation from May in writing, at the time the guy I dealt with was some kind of manager and was very official in his assurance that the debits would stop after May. Is it enough of a case that I stopped receiving email billing notifications and that there was one month after the cancellation where they didn't take any money? I also haven't used the number since I cancelled it.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When you cancelled - did you simply stop the direct debit, or did you receive any formal acknowledgement that the account was paid up and closed. I would always seek to have that information in writing. I do see that you mention a conversation with a manager. Was that over the phone? You could request a recording of the call to verify what he said.

If you're absolutely sure that you had cancelled, then you can also request your bank to return the direct debits under the new SEPA scheme. I'm not sure what the time limit is for requesting a refund, but you should be able to get some of them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Emma Works

Many thanks for your response, I didn't receive any formal acknowledgement but when the payment stopped the following month and I stopped receiving ebilling statements I believed that everything was in order.

I will request a recording of the call and look into the sepa scheme, good to know.

Thanks again

Advertisement