Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proteins denaturing during cooking?

Options
  • 30-10-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

This might be a nonsensical question but I've always wondered how our bodies use proteins in cooked foods, meat, pulses, any protein source, if the proteins would denature in the heat of the cooking? They can't fold back to their original form, like an egg white cant 'unboil' itself from hard to soft ... so how can our body use these proteins then? I apologise if the question isn't so clear :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The body doesn't use the proteins. It breaks them down into their constituent amino acids, absorbs those, and then uses them to make up whatever proteins it needs itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

What the poster above said.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Even if proteins didn't denature in cooking they are almost certainly denatured by the acid in your stomach.

And that's before the digestive enzymes start chopping them to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Consider me fascinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...they are almost certainly denatured by the acid in your stomach.

And that's before the digestive enzymes start chopping them to bits.

That's what I said!
    ...It breaks them down into their constituent amino acids...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

longshanks wrote: »
    Consider me fascinated.

Get a little bit of raw fish, salmon, trout, mackeral or tuna works better'n white fish.

squeeze a lime onto the fish.

watch it cook in the citric acid.

(add some chilli peppers and onion for a tasty peruvian snack: ceviche)

Its the amino acids that are important, especially the essential ones, as humans can't synthesize these.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lostsheep120

The body doesn't use the proteins. It breaks them down into their constituent amino acids, absorbs those, and then uses them to make up whatever proteins it needs itself.

Dead right, the liver breaks down ingested proteins into amino acids. These amino acids themselves have to be transported to all cells around the body. It's within the individual cells that these amino acids are used to build proteins required and it is then that the protein is made available for use by the body

Advertisement