Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil top up question

Options
  • 30-10-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys

I just got some oil in a local garage to top up the oil in a 08 golf tsi engine. I was given havolen extra sae 10w 40 part synthetic. The last time maybe a year ago I was given castrol edge 5w-30 fully synthetic again to top up the same engine. Can anybody advise if the one I was given today is correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Its not correct, better than nothing but you really need the correct spec 5-30 oil

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the difference between part and fully synthetic ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Semi synthetic is a mineral and synthetic oil mix, fully synthetic usually has better properties in almost every department and can be used for longer between changes

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you topped up a year ago with other oil your car should be due a full oil change around now. The 10w 40 part synthetic will be better than nothing getting mixed with the proper oil but over time it should all be replaced with the proper oil.

Advertisement