Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to heat water in cylinder!!

Options
  • 30-10-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

How long should it take oil fired burner(firebird 120) to heat water in 36 x15 cylinder (125 litres) from cold with no rads on....

Also how long should it take in the same situation but with 1 zone (9 rads) turned on as well...

Just curious as mine seems to take very long from cold as opposed to switching on the immersion which might only take 15 mins to get hot... Any input much appreciated , thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Should be fairly hot in about 20 minutes, with balancing valve (if fitted) fully open.

Second question: It will also depend on if there is a balancing valve installed and what that is set to. It will start to heat along with the rads, but will take a lot longer, as the rads will be competing for the available heat also. A rough guess would be 40 min to an hour for cylinder to get up to temp, but will depend on that valve.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Wearb wrote: »
    Should be fairly hot in about 20 minutes, with balancing valve (if fitted) fully open.

Second question: It will also depend on if there is a balancing valve installed and what that is set to. It will start to heat along with the rads, but will take a lot longer, as the rads will be competing for the available heat also. A rough guess would be 40 min to an hour for cylinder to get up to temp, but will depend on that valve.

Thanks for that, is that balancing valve fitted at bottom rear of cylinder , if it is then the one i have is a single lever valve thats half open/closed but i remember the plumber telling me a few years ago there was a specific reason for it to be left this way.... Maybe its not the valve you speak of at all!!

Thanks for that, is that balancing valve fitted at bottom rear of cylinder , if it is then the one i have is a single lever valve thats half open/closed but i remember the plumber telling me a few years ago there was a specific reason for it to be left this way.... Maybe its not the valve you speak of at all!!

No not that one. That is probably the domestic hot water valve. The balancing valve will be on one of the pipes heating the coil. One pipe will be in the top 75% of the cylinder and the other directly below it in the bottom 25%

By the way, if you have a balancing valve; before you open it, count the number of turns it takes so that you can put it back where it was. (Don't turn it off) Otherwise you may have problems heating your rads up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Wearb wrote: »
    By the way, if you have a balancing valve; before you open it, count the number of turns it takes so that you can put it back where it was. (Don't turn it off) Otherwise you may have problems heating your rads up properly.

Grand thanks , i wont be goin at it anyway ...best left to the plumber by the sound if it !

• Advertisement
Advertisement