Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"More Controllers Please" - Host html controllers inside your game (Java)

Options
  • 30-10-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm back working on a project of mine that I called More Controllers Please (MCP)

So I think I put up a post about this before but it was a good while ago. This will be a bit of a shill post, but it is free and open source so I don't really gain much from people using it :)

What is MCP?

Its a library written in Java that you can include in your Java games (maybe there are ways of importing it into other games though, I have not tried). It is intended to extend the user input capabilities of your game.

How does it work?

It hosts a webserver within the game/application. You create custom html pages that the users interact with on their phone/tablet/PC. The webpages can fire events that get sent to the game. The game can pass context back to the webpage (using heartbeats)

What can it be used for?

Whatever you want! (I hope)
    Here are a few examples:
    • Regular Controllers
    • Second Screens (for inventory, mini maps etc)
    • Private Screens

I'll post up some demos applications later that show examples of the some of the use cases.

Here is a link to the code. If anyone is interested in using it please let me know an I will help you get started. I will be doing up proper documentation in time, but its not there yet!

All feature requests welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hey Guys,

I'm back working on a project of mine that I called More Controllers Please (MCP)

So I think I put up a post about this before but it was a good while ago. This will be a bit of a shill post, but it is free and open source so I don't really gain much from people using it :)

What is MCP?

Its a library written in Java that you can include in your Java games (maybe there are ways of importing it into other games though, I have not tried). It is intended to extend the user input capabilities of your game.

How does it work?

It hosts a webserver within the game/application. You create custom html pages that the users interact with on their phone/tablet/PC. The webpages can fire events that get sent to the game. The game can pass context back to the webpage (using heartbeats)

What can it be used for?

Whatever you want! (I hope)
    Here are a few examples:
    • Regular Controllers
    • Second Screens (for inventory, mini maps etc)
    • Private Screens

I'll post up some demos applications later that show examples of the some of the use cases.

Here is a link to the code. If anyone is interested in using it please let me know an I will help you get started. I will be doing up proper documentation in time, but its not there yet!

All feature requests welcome!

I'll definitely be having a look at this Iater!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Cards Against Humanity Game

Demos: Private Screens

So if you have never played cards against humanity, basically you flip a black card over and it will contain a statement with a blank space or a question. Each player needs to use one of the white cards, which contain a noun (some are more descriptive than others) in their deck to make up the funniest sentence
    The actual content of the CAH cards are CC0, so they are free to use, you just can't use the name.

The game will run on one device (TV, PC or tablet etc), this will be the "table". It will display the black card. It will also display each users white card they submit.

Each of the players will connect into the game device using a phone or tablet, they each will be given a unique view of their white cards. When it is appropriate they will be prompted to submit one of their cards for judging.

Myself and a friend of mine are working on getting a really simple version completed (minimum viable product!). I would like to add Chromecast support to so the device that is running the game can also be used as a player device, while the "table" screen is casted to the Chromecast, but that would be a v2 feature.

Here is the codebase for this. Not much there yet though

RedXIV wrote: »
    I'll definitely be having a look at this Iater!

Hey,

As I said I would be more than happy to answer any questions or whatever, can even help with the implementation of the html if you needed a hand with that! (although I am not much of a web dev, I can make do though)

I have a few examples floating around github so will probably be able to link to most things that need to be overcome.

Cards Against Humanity Game

Demos: Private Screens

So if you have never played cards against humanity, basically you flip a black card over and it will contain a statement with a blank space or a question. Each player needs to use one of the white cards, which contain a noun (some are more descriptive than others) in their deck to make up the funniest sentence
    The actual content of the CAH cards are CC0, so they are free to use, you just can't use the name.

The game will run on one device (TV, PC or tablet etc), this will be the "table". It will display the black card. It will also display each users white card they submit.

Each of the players will connect into the game device using a phone or tablet, they each will be given a unique view of their white cards. When it is appropriate they will be prompted to submit one of their cards for judging.

Myself and a friend of mine are working on getting a really simple version completed (minimum viable product!). I would like to add Chromecast support to so the device that is running the game can also be used as a player device, while the "table" screen is casted to the Chromecast, but that would be a v2 feature.

Here is the codebase for this. Not much there yet though

Just an update on this one:

We have a working version of the game now.

Table (on device game is running on):
    TTgf7qV.png

Player Hand (on the players phone)
    dTSpTg4.png

Here is some screen shots showing the flow of the game

Here is a link to the demo versions (Desktop and Android)

I haven't done a tonne of testing on the Android version, but it requires a dedicated device at the moment (An Ouya, a phone or tablet left on the table etc). If the game loses focus it will stop feeding back the webpages til it gets the focus back

As always would love to hear any feedback you have!

A friend of mine made a video for the Morals are optional game:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

^^^^brilliant lol :pac::pac:

Advertisement