Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving somoene else's car without valid NCT

Options
  • 30-10-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I was driving someone's car (fully insured) and they didn't have an up to date NCT.

Stopped by a guard and I explained that the car had been in for an NCT test and needed to have something small fixed. It was booked in for the following week.

He said it was fine and that he'd check in a month to make sure that it passed.

Car passed.

Then I get a court summons in the door a month ago, for failure to produce a valid NCT certificate within 10 days to the local guards.

I've tried contacting the guard to no avail.

Few questions:

Am I liable for someone else's car (I presume I am because I should check all the details before driving)? Or can I just say that it's not my car?

He never said anything about producing an NCT cert within 10 days, is there any defence in this?

The car passed and I thought that was the end of the matter as he said it would be and that he'd check himself. I also asked if I needed to do anything and he said no.

Comments

you have to go to court but nothing will come of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

urbanledge wrote: »
    you have to go to court but nothing will come of it.

maybe, but don't bank on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JonnyStout

I was hoping not to go to court at all, but cannot get in touch with the guard at all.

Tried a few times, at the station and on the phone.

Was told to contact the traffic dept. and the phone just rings out all the time. Got through once and was transferred to someone else in some completely random dept.

I'll keep trying to get a hold of him, otherwise I guess I'll have to take my chance with a lenient judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JonnyStout

I think so, yeah

Advertisement