Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turntable Cartridge upgrade ... Recommendations please

• 30-10-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've picked up a new Turntable and it has the Pro-Ject 9c Carbon Fiber Tonearm..The OMB10 Phono Cartridge that's currently on it is ok but isn't great to my ears. I'm a big fan of Singer Songwriter stuff with occasional bouts of Pearl Jam and Nine Inch Nails :D

Any suggestions ?
    I was looking at some of the audiokazu carts and wonder would they suit the arm I have ?

Also do people find that the speedbox makes a difference to the sound ? I hear mixed reports ?

And finally I've got a Denon 720 Amp with dedicated Phono input. Will the sound through this input be as good as a seperate Pre-amp ?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Hi folks,
    I've picked up a new Turntable and it has the Pro-Ject 9c Carbon Fiber Tonearm..The OMB10 Phono Cartridge that's currently on it is ok but isn't great to my ears. I'm a big fan of Singer Songwriter stuff with occasional bouts of Pearl Jam and Nine Inch Nails :D

Any suggestions ?
    I was looking at some of the audiokazu carts and wonder would they suit the arm I have ?

Also do people find that the speedbox makes a difference to the sound ? I hear mixed reports ?

Many thanks in advance.

Ok a few things here... the OB10 is a very basic Ortofon cart so maybe an upgrade is on the cards. If it's a new cart I'd live with it for a while and see does it grow on you. A good cart will cost from a few hundred to thousands so you need to do your homework. Have a look at the better ortofons, Sumiko, Goldring and Rega.

What turntable is this? It's kinda relevant!
    And finally I've got a Denon 720 Amp with dedicated Phono input. Will the sound through this input be as good as a seperate Pre-amp ?

It depends on the phono amp! Probably won't be improved much by the cheap and cheerful Project/Cambridge type boxes but keep an eye out for second hand Graham Slee or Tom Evans phono stages. Again the sky's the limit on price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Thanks Slaphead07
    It's this one
    http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/pro-ject-1-xpression-turntable-carbon-fiber-tonearm/6370157

Manual Turntable with a Carbon Fiber Tonearm & Pre-Mounted Ortofon OMB10 Phono Cartridge

Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Turntable Features:

- Very heavy cast aluminium platter (2.4 kg) with felt mat
    - Low-tolerance chrome-plated stainless-steel axle runs on a polished ball bearing in a brass bearing housing
    - Motor decoupled to reduce vibration
    - Available in matt grey
    - Dust cover included

Pro-Ject 9c Carbon Fiber Tonearm Features:

- 9" precision tonearm with carbon-fiber armtube
    - Conical carbon-fiber armtube avoids standing wave reflections
    - Inverted bearing design with four hardened ABEC7 spec ballraces
    - Solid armbase permits accurate height adjustment of armtube and VTA (vertical tracing angle)
    - Single-screw fixing of armtube allows rotation for easy adjustment of needle azimuth despite fixed headshell
    - Highly flexible top-grade copper internal wiring.
    - Conical carbon fiber armtube allows adjustment of needle azimuth despite fixed headshell
    - Vertical tracing angle adjustable
    - Tonearm bearing comprises inverted hardened stainless-steel points and sapphire thrust-pads

Thanks Slaphead07
    It's this one
    Yeah, it's a good deck but to upgrade the cart you'll be spending at least as much again... that's just the way it is! Keep an eye on classified ads especially http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/index.php which is Irish and honest :) You might be lucky with a second hand cart and phono stage. I'd strongly suggest that for now you just relax and enjoy the new toy and get a better idea of what you really want down the line.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a good deck but to upgrade the cart you'll be spending at least as much again... that's just the way it is! Keep an eye on classified ads especially http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/index.php which is Irish and honest :) You might be lucky with a second hand cart and phono stage. I'd strongly suggest that for now you just relax and enjoy the new toy and get a better idea of what you really want down the line.
    Nice one thanks :D Ya I'm not bothered about the Price to be honest I was looking at picking one of these up in the States in December but don't know if it will suit the tonearm ?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J2KGDY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER#

I understand I'll need to upgrade to a MC amp too.
    And thanks for the link didn't know about that site.

Nice one thanks :D Ya I'm not bothered about the Price to be honest I was looking at picking one of these up in the States in December but don't know if it will suit the tonearm ?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J2KGDY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER#

I understand I'll need to upgrade to a MC amp too.
    And thanks for the link didn't know about that site.

Nice cart and the tonearm won't be an issue for any cart. Beware of added duty from the US by the way. I'd wait until I had the phono stage to do it justice though. You might find your current cart isn't at all bad if it had a better amp.

• Advertisement

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Nice cart and the tonearm won't be an issue for any cart. Beware of added duty from the US by the way. I'd wait until I had the phono stage to do it justice though. You might find your current cart isn't at all bad if it had a better amp.

I head over to the states with work a few times a year so will pick it up myself there :D so Duty isn't an issue.

I head over to the states with work a few times a year so will pick it up myself there :D so Duty isn't an issue.

amp first. The cart you have might be fine. If you're in New York visit http://inlivingstereo.com/ who have to be one of the soundest (no pun intended) hifi shops I've ever been in. They know their analogue stuff too.

Just noticed this on a UK site (I trust him!) http://www.mackenziehifi.com/ming-da-mc767-rd-valve-phono-stage-2735-p.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

The Denon DL 103 is a fine entry-level MC which punches above its weight. I use one with a pair of matching transformers in front of a Conrad Johnson pre = very happy

TroutMask wrote: »
    The Denon DL 103 is a fine entry-level MC which punches above its weight. I use one with a pair of matching transformers in front of a Conrad Johnson pre = very happy

that's what I use too, well the "R" version. It does sound far better than its £300 ish price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Yes :) I was wary of it (plain vanilla 103) at first, but Noel Cloney was so enthused about it I decided to give it a try. Still love it, it's fantastic for 'produced' kind of stuff: Midnight Oil, Rosie Vela, John Barry ...... really never gets choked up by a complex mix. Maybe not so great for metal/rock .... a bit too clean really. Still, that's what my Shure V15 Mk III is for :) Still, The DL103 with a pair of nice transformers in front warms up quite nicely. I think my pre burned in too, as things got a whole lot better after a certain number of hours.......
    All in all, it's a great cart and I rarely change it. So Slaphead07, what's the difference in the R version - sonically speaking? I'm assuming you've tried the basic cart?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys - 1st thing Declared interest - I work for Richer Sounds ( as Slaphead knows :) )

If you were interested I have one of the original Denon DLA100 100th anniversary Carts left in-Stock Brand new in its presentation case..

http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/product-detail.aspx?catid=AnniversaryCollection&subid=0&productid=dla100

Here is the Stereophile review:
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-108-page-2

It retailed originally at £499 - I'd happily part company with it at £169.95 - it comes in its original box with presentation case and Denon 100th anniversary book etc!

Its basically a 'worked-over/ upgraded' Dl103 - but of course its also a collectors item and I don't think you will see another one for sale at around this price ( never mind a brand new one!)

Thanks again and drop us a line if you have any interest - I can pop some photos up if you are interested ( even if just for interest, not to purchase!)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John I might head over to the Richer Sounds forum and ask a few questions so.

Guys - 1st thing Declared interest - I work for Richer Sounds ( as Slaphead knows :) )

Hi John, next time I'm up at Sick Records I must drop around ;)

TroutMask wrote: »
    So Slaphead07, what's the difference in the R version - sonically speaking? I'm assuming you've tried the basic cart?

I went from a Sumiko Blue Point special so can't say... the reviews declare "more of the same"

Advertisement