Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice: Installing Heated Mirrors on 2008 Audi A4 Cab

Options
  • 30-10-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi All,

Recently bought a 2008 A4 cabrio - relatively basic model only to find out today (first frosty morning) that I don't have heated mirrors and apparently these don't come as standard.

Can anyone offer advice on how to go about sorting this out? The last two cars I've had have both had them and I reckon it's worth spending some time and effort on getting them installed.

The link below shows some short cuts or cheaper options, if anyone could recommend someone who might be able to follow this I'd appreciate it. (PS, it's in my own interests I don't try fixing it myself, guaranteed to order wrong parts or mess it up somehow!).

Thanks in advance.

audi-sport.net/xf/threads/heated-mirrors-do-i-or-dont-i-have.84351/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I'd have a look behind your current glass to see if any wires are present, someone may have just been cheap when replacing mirrors previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ferg01

Thanks pippip, I just double checked the owners manual - there is another option on the mirror adjustment panel that you can set the switch to if heated mirrors are installed, my model doesn't have this option - apparently it came is part of the winter pack which evidently I don't have. Don't think it's someone being cheap, although that would have been a convenient solution as it's still under warranty.

I guess now I'm left with figuring out if it's even possible on my model seeing as they weren't installed day one?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd be stunned if you don't have them.
    Anyway everything can be retrofitted, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend.
    You would need a new mirror switch if it doesn't have the heat setting, possibly a simple vcds code change and wiring if not there.
    I will have a look at wiring diagrams if I get a chance.

Edit. A quick Google suggests that wiring is usually all there. I'd pop the glass out and see what you have. The glass will have metal connectors with 2 wires attached I'd all is present.
    You may have the wires just clipped on to 2 dud clips if the mirror glass is not the heated one.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ferg01

Thanks mickdw, yeah from what I've read, I might need to remove the glass...change two connectors and the glass and bob's your uncle. Will still have to bring it to someone maybe a bit more car literate than me though. Presumably with this option, the mirrors will then defrost with the rear window.

Advertisement