Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New venue for irish racecourse?

Options
  • 30-10-2014 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

just doing a spot of thinking about the current geographic location of irelands racecourses and the north midlands, south ulster is very low on courses was just thinking a new course in around Cavan town would be ideal, Navan, Kilbeggan and Dundalk are the closest and thier all well over an hours drive from Cavan.

there would proobarbly be a big opening for one around donegal, west tyrone too you woould imagine, but cavan with the equistrian centre would seem a good fit, and it has a nice little town for post race celebrations, the october bank holiday weekend would seem to be thin on the ground for good race festival.

i mean meath,kildare,kerry and tipperary have 3 apiece, but yet none in Cavan,Monaghon, Lietrim, Longford or Donegal and then you have all of Ulster apart from the 2 in Down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The biggest county in Ireland has just one racecourse, which is laughably known as "Cork". It's Mallow. Always has been, always will be. Dublin has a metropolitan track within a short distance from the city centre. Cork deserves the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Roscommon the Windsor of Ireland lost it's Sunday meeting this year to "no polititions on turf board".look at the shocking kilbeggen .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

sting60 wrote: »
    Roscommon the Windsor of Ireland lost it's Sunday meeting this year to "no polititions on turf board".look at the shocking kilbeggen .

It gets the crowds Jumping is the name of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Roscommon. Love that track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

I said wrote: »
    It gets the crowds Jumping is the name of the game
    Kilbeggen awarded Friday/sat and sun meetings but no Mondays .oooo Leary has made sure he rides every one in his path.let the irish gov appoint outside people to test top stables for drugs ,not stud appointees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

so any room for a new course in the race venue deficint border region?

sting60 wrote: »
    Kilbeggen awarded Friday/sat and sun meetings but no Mondays .oooo Leary has made sure he rides every one in his path.let the irish gov appoint outside people to test top stables for drugs ,not stud appointees.

Are we on about a new course or what,kilbeggan gets a decent crowd anyday it races whatever is in the water it works for them.
    It's central location and all jumps cards work.the quality isn't great but you do get the odd gem starting out there iktitaf being an example scraped home to win his maiden hurdle didn't turn out half bad after for Meade after.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    so any room for a new course in the race venue deficint border region?

Would Leitrim suit the region but what formula would you use and in the current economic climate it would need a deep pocketed patron to set it up the hri would be lambasted if the got involed in the running of a new track and it was loss making

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

well lietrim is served by sligo so perhaps a little further east cavan is a long way from national hunt course over an hour from navan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

It would be great for Leitrim but it's full of lakes, hills and actual mountains so not sure where you'd put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Don't see how we would be better served by having another track. Have been to about half the race courses in Ireland and have witnessed some truly shocking attendances. For some fixtures during midweek, I'd say some saw only 20-30 paying customers. To actually build a new, modern race track would cost a lot of money and would be a money losing venture there after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Get the Curragh fixed up first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭finbarrk

New racecourse? Pie in the sky.

Advertisement