Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magdalene Laundries Swiss style!

Options
  • 30-10-2014 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Have to say this news story shocked me
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29765623

I would have heard before about how women only got to vote there in 1971 but had never heard about the "contract children" history.

The Swiss state up until the 60s forcibly removed children from poor families and unmarried mothers and sent them to work on farms as child labourers. It applied to orphans as well. Absolutely nuts, don't know how I never heard of it before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

There chocolate is lovely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

It worked like clockwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That's probably what the orphans had to make...and watches, and Swiss army knives..which they just called army knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

They make decent Swiss Rolls too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I wonder if a lot of their records were lost in fires as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

How do you make a Swiss Roll?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

+
    It worked like clockwork.

= terrys chocolate orange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Karl Stein wrote: »
    How do you make a Swiss Roll?

Push him down a hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Did Kenny pay the Irish victims yet btw???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Kovu wrote: »
    Push him down a hill?

What? No.

Ingredients

For the Swiss roll

3 free-range eggs
    75g/3oz golden caster sugar
    75g/3oz self-raising flour

For the filling

75g/3oz raspberry jam
    125ml/4½fl oz whipped double cream
    100g/3½oz raspberries

To serve
    icing sugar

Preparation method

1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.Grease and line a 23cm x 30cm/9in x 12in Swiss roll tin

2. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy.

3. Fold in the flour and spoon the mixture into the tin. Bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes, or until light and springy to the touch.

4. Remove from the oven and turn the sponge out onto another piece of greaseproof paper.

5. For the filling, spread the jam onto the sponge and then spread with the cream, leaving a small gap around the edges.

6. Place a row of raspberries along one edge, lengthways. Roll the sponge to cover the raspberries and repeat the process until all of the raspberries have been used.

7. Dust with icing sugar and serve.

BBC.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Kovu wrote: »
    Push him down a hill?
    Sorry, but I giggled at this.
    On a more serious note, stories like these make me loose faith in humanity. Truly sad stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Never ceases to amaze me how quickly and easily one human will use another for profit/sex/slavery and feel no guilt what so ever about it and actually justify it in their own heads, I long for the day when a meteorite slams into us and wipes us all out and lets evolution start all over again because it has to get it right eventually because **** knows we don't deserve this planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ah here, even Swiss are at it???

Is there any country without a group taking advantage of kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jesus, that is ****ed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

vetinari wrote: »
    Have to say this news story shocked me
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29765623

I would have heard before about how women only got to vote there in 1971 but had never heard about the "contract children" history.

The Swiss state up until the 60s forcibly removed children from poor families and unmarried mothers and sent them to work on farms as child labourers. It applied to orphans as well. Absolutely nuts, don't know how I never heard of it before.

That's nothing to what was being done in australia with children right up to the mid 1980s and possibly still going on in parts of the country today!

There were fake news stories concocted by political figures with major links and interests in mining who spread rumours about paedophile rings operating between several of the large aborigine townships so that the police could go in and start arresting the men and especially targeted were the elders. the people were then offered miserable sums of money to give up the leases they held for their own land which many did because they felt they would be targeted next if they did not move.

All the land was needed of course for open cast mining.

Years before that the church used to farm out the poor little bastard and half caste children as slaves servants and farm hands to the wealthy and those who could afford all the associated weekly and seasonal parish dues!

Australia, a great country once your not black Indian aborigine Chinese White.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That's nothing to what was being done in australia with children right up to the mid 1980s and possibly still going on in parts of the country today!
    Australia, a great country once your not black Indian aborigine Chinese White.

sure they're all just criminals over there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sure they're all just criminals over there anyway.
    Ya gotta love the way the police treat the foreign drunks in the northern territory, they even got special Yutes with cages on the back for the mad drunken paddies, But Typically Australian that those same police vehicles are all speed restricted to 80kph because they are classed as work vehicles! :D

Don't forget the stolen babies in Spain. It's a ****ed up world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Between enslaving children, sterilizing Roma and not allowing women to vote until 1971, I like the Swiss less and less all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

But how are irish people meant to feel guilty about this? I guess the irish stste failed to intervene, shame on us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

But how are irish people meant to feel guilty about this? I guess the irish stste failed to intervene, shame on us.

Who on this thread suggested that Irish people should or might feel guilty about this story ?

Advertisement