Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Early NCT

Options
  • 29-10-2014 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

My car was due an NCT in Feb 2015. At this stage my car will be 10 years old. The NCT crowd sent me a letter stating if I carry out the test by the 15th of this month ill get a 2 year nct cert. So off I popped and had the NCT today and passed. It now says my next nct is due 28-10-2016. I thought it would have been Feb 2017? ( from the original test due date )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] I thought it would have been Feb 2017? ( from the original test due date )

Nope.

That's how the new system works.

Once you make a test on an anniversary date (or near) you get year or two until another anniversary date.

Once you make early test you get a date based on a date of early test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If you're outside 90 days of the expiry date in a car under 10 years old you will get a cert for 2 years, from the day of testing,expiry Oct 2016.(your case). However, had you waited until after the 15th (within 90 days) you would get a cert which would expire 1 year from Feb 2015 i.e. expiry date Feb 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

I have a car which was first registered in January 2005. It's NCT expires on 31-12-2014. It's going to be tested next week. Since the car will be nine years old when tested will I get two years NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

tanko wrote: »
    I have a car which was first registered in January 2005. It's NCT expires on 31-12-2014. It's going to be tested next week. Since the car will be nine years old when tested will I get two years NCT?

No, because you will be presenting your car for it's 10th registartion anniversary NCT, so are liable for 1 year test now.
    Had you presented car more than 90 months early for the test, then it would be early voluntary test on vehicle less than 10 years old, so you would get 2 years valid NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

CiniO wrote: »
    [...]
    Had you presented car more than 90 months days early for the test, [...]

FYP. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

My car was due an NCT in Feb 2015. At this stage my car will be 10 years old. The NCT crowd sent me a letter stating if I carry out the test by the 15th of this month ill get a 2 year nct cert. So off I popped and had the NCT today and passed. It now says my next nct is due 28-10-2016. I thought it would have been Feb 2017? ( from the original test due date )
    What you got was correct. You done well. Don't be complaining :)

Advertisement