Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 9 vs Ipad Air 2

Options
  • 29-10-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hello chums,

I'm conflicted. I'm looking to getting a high spec tablet in the next month or two. I've kinda ruled out the Surface Pro 3, as I feel I'd just be better off getting a smaller screen'ed laptop for that price.

So for me personally it's a battle between Nexus 9 and Ipad Air 2

Specs are important and both are highly powerful devices... but I'm not sure which one I want to get.

HDMI out is important to me as I'd like to play tv off it on to my tv. The aspect ratio isn't that big of an issue, IOS being a relatively closed off system is a bit of an annoyance, but the expandable memory and abundance of apps is a pro on that side of things!

What would you guys choose, and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Abundance of apps won't be an issue on the Nexus either.

I'd be leaning towards the Nexus myself - file system on a tablet is kind of important I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Id being going the nexus route myself though i have to say im very much biased to Android.

does the ipad come with expandable now?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

I have both nexus 7 and iPad mini (work), the nexus is miles better, more intuitive and productive. I find the iPad clunky to do the most basic of tasks like copy and paste. Multitasking is miles better on Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If you're not going the Surface pro 3 route then I'd say the nexus 9 would be the way to go for sure.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

projectgtr wrote: »
    does the ipad come with expandable now?:confused:
    That bit in the OP's post had me scratching my head too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

duridian wrote: »
    That bit in the OP's post had me scratching my head too.

Probably means that he can get a 64gb I pad vs a 32gb nexus!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Nexus 9 definitely, much better device.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

This forum is going to be biased as everyone going to say the nexus.
    I would def get the nexus tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

OP, +1 for the Nexus. I'm not a fan of the Walled Garden system Apple use.

One bit of advice... dump the HDMI cable... a Chromecast costs just a little more than a cable and lets you stream wirelessly to your TV, letting you use the tablet at the same time... Nexus Player, Smart DVD, Android Box, Roku will all do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Bluefoam wrote: »
    OP, +1 for the Nexus. I'm not a fan of the Walled Garden system Apple use.

One bit of advice... dump the HDMI cable... a Chromecast costs just a little more than a cable and lets you stream wirelessly to your TV, letting you use the tablet at the same time... Nexus Player, Smart DVD, Android Box, Roku will all do the same.

I have a Chromecast but it's very poor at outputting anything higher than 720p at times. It's grand for smaller files but anything very high definition it struggles.

I had a Nexus 7 (1st gen) loved it but it got very slow by the end, and I had issues with charging too.

The Nexus 9 vs Ipad Air 2 decision is mainly because I'd like a bump up in screen size also. I'm very fickle!

Apologies for the storage comment should have said the possible extra space, meant 32gb might be a bit small. I'd be downloading all my tv/movies to it and carrying them around with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Don't worry about needing loads of storage space. Should be easy to use Nexus media importer and USB OTG.
    I have iphones and iPads foisted on me by work but use Nexus devices for personal use.
    I'll be adding new nexus devices as soon as they are shipping. Apple is too restrictive for me and even simple things like the lack of widgets on iOS drives me crazy. Much easier to play a wide variety of media formats on android.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Yeah I'm leaning towards the Nexus 9 to be honest, if there was an adapter guaranteed for the hdmi out I'd be definitely getting it. It's a premium product so expected a port to by honest.

Gonna be costly with the keyboard also.

Advertisement