Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are they hiding from us?

Options
  • 29-10-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Fellow AH members,

Something to ponder over your lunchtime chicken rolls. Are the broadsheet newspaper media in Ireland providing us with their own biased opinions? I had this debate with a friend last night (who enjoys his conspiracy theories) who believes that we are being fed with misrepresentation of events in Ireland by broadsheet newspapers (The Irish Examiner, The Irish Independent and the Irish Times). He thinks that they are continuously fueling the ideologies of the powerful in a way in which keeps them powerful (government, multinational companies, etc.). Basically, in a milder way than what is occurring in countries such as North Korea and China.

For example, the broadsheet papers are leaving out information about reports relating to Middle Eastern conflicts in order to support western ideologies. Similarly, the broadsheets are predominantly providing us with certain political views such as the water charges or a change in legislation.

I know that these tactics occurred in Ireland years ago but in a world where information is far more accessible than before do any of you think that this is happening to us? Or am I also being blinded by this?!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Things are gone to wreck sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Each newspaper has a demographic, they report news in such a way and write editorials so as to pander to that demographic.

This is not new nor is it a conspiracy theory. Media organisations are companies which sell a product packaged in such a way as to appeal to their customer segment.

Even public sector broadcasters have a target audience. Obviously your friend has some views which do not correspond with the mainstream media in Ireland, suggest he looks at his viewing / reading choices more carefully.

Impartiality does not exist in journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

It's called an editorial line - every publication has them, even ones that claim they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

News is a commodity, just like jam and Venetian blinds. Some people like marmalade, some like net curtains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

News is a commodity, just like jam and Venetian blinds. Some people like marmalade, some like net curtains.
    ans some like tits with jam on, behind net curtains.

• Advertisement

ans some like tits with jam on, behind net curtains.

That would be the Daily Sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It's all a secret plan by the lizard people to control us.

That would be the Daily Sport.
    "Jimmy Hill's chin found on cow"
    What a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JimJar

I see a lot of what he's talking about in tabloids (portrayal of women with tits out, biased views and sensationalism, but I fail to see this in the broadsheet newspapers. They appear to have a more objective report as to what is actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RTE only informed us about the Sinn Fein/IRA sexual abuse scandal 2 days after the story broke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

OP, I note that your friend specified broadsheet newspapers - does he think the tabloids make the right call in their coverage?

It's all a secret plan by the lizard people to control us.
    The Daily Gekko.

JimJar wrote: »
    I see a lot of what he's talking about in tabloids (portrayal of women with tits out, biased views and sensationalism, but I fail to see this in the broadsheet newspapers. They appear to have a more objective report as to what is actually happening.

There's no such thing as objective journalism, unless you're talking about robots, and even then it's debatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

They report as per their editorial line, seriously this is really straightforward stuff.

No conspiracy, just market segmentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Quality investigative journalism from the newspaper journalists in this country is practically non existant.

OP, I note that your friend specified broadsheet newspapers - does he think the tabloids make the right call in their coverage?

We both agreed on what the tabloids shamelessly do, they have their opinions and hide and reveal exactly what they want their readers to know. He believes that the same happens in the broadsheets but that is where we disagree. I fail to see the existence of latent propaganda or ideology in both types of papers...

Quality investigative journalism from the newspaper journalists in this country is practically non existant.
    Bull****. Yer man that used to be with the Sunday World had 5 (FIVE!!!) mobile phones. And never minded telling ye how dangerous everything he did was if you ever had the misfortune of running into him. He must have been investigating the sh*t out of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's waht sells papers that gets printed. If it happens to be accurate, it's a bonus.

It's also what happens to keep people scared and in check, though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It's waht sells papers that gets printed. If it happens to be accurate, jt's a bonus.

It's also what happens to keep people scared and in check, though.
    Guardian reader, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I am pie wrote: »
    Each newspaper has a demographic, they report news in such a way and write editorials so as to pander to that demographic.

IRISH WATER ARE BASTARDS!
    Turn to page 2 for full story
    And look to page 3 for cheering up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Guardian reader, eh?

Eh.... Its spelt 'Grauniad'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Fellow AH members,

Something to ponder over your lunchtime chicken rolls. Are the broadsheet newspaper media in Ireland providing us with their own biased opinions? I had this debate with a friend last night (who enjoys his conspiracy theories) who believes that we are being fed with misrepresentation of events in Ireland by broadsheet newspapers (The Irish Examiner, The Irish Independent and the Irish Times). He thinks that they are continuously fueling the ideologies of the powerful in a way in which keeps them powerful (government, multinational companies, etc.). Basically, in a milder way than what is occurring in countries such as North Korea and China.

For example, the broadsheet papers are leaving out information about reports relating to Middle Eastern conflicts in order to support western ideologies. Similarly, the broadsheets are predominantly providing us with certain political views such as the water charges or a change in legislation.

I know that these tactics occurred in Ireland years ago but in a world where information is far more accessible than before do any of you think that this is happening to us? Or am I also being blinded by this?!

Surely in a world where information is much more accessible then the carry on you mention is pointless?

Eh.... Its spelt 'Grauniad'.
    Damn autograph correct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The Indo is hardly a broadsheet

bluewolf wrote: »

Broadly speaking, it looks like a sheet from far away.

That is my point Beano, my friend maintains that the broadsheets are gradually pushing us into the acceptance of various policies and changes in society by those in power (government, etc.) in a way which is not visible to the vast majority of readers. I'd like to see an example though because (example) those in support and against the water charges are getting similar column inches to make their points. The articles very much leave it to the reader to make their own mind up, whereas the tabloids act as though the reader has already made their mind up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

That is my point Beano, my friend maintains that the broadsheets are gradually pushing us into the acceptance of various policies and changes in society by those in power (government, etc.) in a way which is not visible to the vast majority of readers. I'd like to see an example though because (example) those in support and against the water charges are getting similar column inches to make their points. The articles very much leave it to the reader to make their own mind up, whereas the tabloids act as though the reader has already made their mind up...

The tabloids act that way, and the broadsheets do as well, because their readers have already made up their mind. They dont read a particular paper to be informed, they read a particular to get their own worldview confirmed. The papers dont support a particular agenda they reflect the agenda of their users.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

bluewolf wrote: »

It's toilet paper with scribbles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Sure they're hiding everything from us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

LoganRice wrote: »
    Sure they're hiding everything from us

I can't find my keys! Fcuking newspapers at it again! :mad:

Advertisement