Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law regarding Charity Collectors directly outside a business

Options
  • 29-10-2014 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Does anyone know if charity collectors have to have permission to collect directly outside a premises?

We would give permission to local well known charities to collect outside our busy premises but recently we've had Irish Lung Foundation and Animal Ark turning up week in week out without our permission.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

According to statue 332873.54 it's perfectly illegal*

*I am a lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If it's public property they need a permit. If it's private property they need permission from the owner and a permit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

...............recently we've had Irish Lung Foundation and Animal Ark turning up week in week out without our permission.

While the Irish Lung Foundation are a noble cause, I'd do my best to get Animal Ark removed from as far away from any business I ran.

They don't appear to be 100% up front with people. And thats putting it mildly.

Recent thread on them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

They are not building a boat at all at all :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Lapin wrote: »
    While the Irish Lung Foundation are a noble cause, I'd do my best to get Animal Ark removed from as far away from any business I ran.

They don't appear to be 100% up front with people.

I Noah scam when I see one, alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

FWIW, the business name "Animal Ark" (reg no 43348) was a partnership formed on 21/02/2011 with activities listed as "WELFARE OF ANIMALS, SUPPORT LOCAL ANIMAL GROUPS", this group ceased trading on 01/07/2014.

On 23/07/2014 a new name was registered as "Animal Ark Ireland" (reg no 522429) by an individual with activities listed as "CHARITY NOT FOR PROFIT"

While it is a legit business name, it is NOT a limited company. I don't know anything else about them....... (other than their addresses, which I'm not going to post here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

Does anyone know if charity collectors have to have permission to collect directly outside a premises?

We would give permission to local well known charities to collect outside our busy premises but recently we've had Irish Lung Foundation and Animal Ark turning up week in week out without our permission.

They need to have a permit that is still valid and signed by a judge.

Ask them for their permit and read it.

If that is in order and they are standing on a public path you have no right to object

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

It might well be legal, but it's a pita. I go into a certain petrol station eleventy-five times a day for coffee/fuel..and there's always a chugger on the door. Go in first time, bung 50c into the bucket...come back an hour later "Hi, would you like to support ...." Grrrr...third time in two hours going in..."Hi would you like to support..." Stabs, kicks, pokes eyes and grimaces horribly...feck off to feckk!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

unfortunately there are some crooks collecting on behalf of the Irish lung foundation .
    a pair of brothers from a certain " mobile minority " with a load of convictions for fraud etc

i would be amazed if any of the money collected finds its way to the actual charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think the best way of guaranteeing that donations go to the charity you want is to donate directly, whether that be through a charity shop or online to their website. Too many scam artists out there collecting and all the scandals with some of the bigger charities last Christmas really badly hit the smaller independent volunteer run charities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

i would be amazed if any of the money collected finds its way to the actual charity
    Just to pay the salaries, leaving the balance for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

UCDCritic wrote: »
    They need to have a permit that is still valid and signed by a judge.

Ask them for their permit and read it.

If that is in order and they are standing on a public path you have no right to object

Not a judge, the local Garda district office issues them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Worth having a read of this thread in the Limerick forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92877738

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but this is a funny scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4CizzE-zZo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It is worth remembering how little of your charitable donation goes to the actual cause. Over 50% goes on staff salaries. Add in marketing, office rental, admin, travel to third world where applicable, verious expenses and bills....better off buying the person begging a sandwich and a cup if tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

Lapin wrote: »

They don't appear to be 100% up front with people. And thats putting it mildly.

Recent thread on them here.

Both connected

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

FWIW, the business name "Animal Ark" (reg no 43348) was a partnership formed on 21/02/2011 with activities listed as "WELFARE OF ANIMALS, SUPPORT LOCAL ANIMAL GROUPS", this group ceased trading on 01/07/2014.

On 23/07/2014 a new name was registered as "Animal Ark Ireland" (reg no 522429) by an individual with activities listed as "CHARITY NOT FOR PROFIT"

While it is a legit business name, it is NOT a limited company. I don't know anything else about them....... (other than their addresses, which I'm not going to post here)

The registered owner is Amanda Haskins, who now lives in Canada. If you do not reside in Ireland, you cannot hold a lottery licence . Someone should let Judge Mary Collins know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you're going to donate, donate to a local charity

and have a group of you get together to make it up to €250, you can claim tax relief against it and the charity gets 31% extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Archeron

anncoates wrote: »
    I Noah scam when I see one, alright.

The must be floods of complaints about this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

So long as it as registered charity (albeit from a state whose money handling ability is bogus) there would not be an issue. So long as the access is not blocked and impaired there is no reason for them not to be present. Laws should be invoked de minimus and not as at every opportunity as a crutch for missing social awareness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement