Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"New" tyres

Options
  • 29-10-2014 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi All,

I bought new tyres yesterday form an independent fitter with a good reputation. I stupidly didnt check the year of manufacture of the tyres. When got home late had a look but couldnt find the code. Checked again this morn and it seems to have been filed off on all tyres but I think I can make out 07 on the tyres.

What should I do? The tyres were not overly cheap or anything. I would have said good value but for the price would expect new and not 7 years old. Should I contact the fitter or have are there any rules regarding the age fitters should sell new tyres. Thanks in advance for help. I know I was stupid but based on recommendations on this site I was probably more trustful than I normally would be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

If true, don't accept it and go back. Even an nct would look at that and they mark it if older than 5 years I think (but not a fail).
    Are you sure you're looking in the right place for the week/year on the tyres? If you can make out 07, you sure that's not the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stupid_is_as _stupid_does

flyguy wrote: »
    If true, don't accept it and go back. Even an nct would look at that and they mark it if older than 5 years I think (but not a fail).
    Are you sure you're looking in the right place for the week/year on the tyres? If you can make out 07, you sure that's not the week?

I think I am. I looked up how to check them and its after DOT 4 letters then part that I think has been filed on all 4 tyres which I think i can make out on a couple of the tyres 2507 I will double check on my lunch break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

What is the tyre brand and model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Just in case: http://www.etyres.co.uk/images/dot_code.jpg
    I've seen codes randomly placed on tyres though, as in different info on different parts, not all neatly in a line. Also sometimes there are blank fields, dunno why but have seen it.

vredestein Hi-tracs

(not hi-trac 2)

• Advertisement

flyguy wrote: »
    Just in case:
    I've seen codes randomly placed on tyres though, as in different info on different parts, not all neatly in a line. Also sometimes there are blank fields, dunno why but have seen it.

Thanks for this. Looks about right except only 4 letters and not two sets of 4. Date code should be exactly there but I can barely make it out on the tyres.I will look again as soon as I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I wouldn't accept those tyres if the date stamp has been removed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

vredestein Hi-tracs

(not hi-trac 2)

That particular tyre was discontinued in 2011 so it could well have been manufactured in 2007 as you suspect.

VeVeX wrote: »
    That particular tyre was discontinued in 2011 so it could well have been manufactured in 2007 as you suspect.

Yeah I went out and checked the tyre again. With a wipe of a damp cloth I could see its 4907 date code scratched off on two of the tyres doesnt seem to be any code on the other two. Thanks. I will leave it at that and not post any more on the subject and contact the seller.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Are you sure there not part worn?

• Advertisement

All sorted with seller and brand new 2014 tyres on the car. Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

All sorted with seller and brand new 2014 tyres on the car. Thanks for replies.

Good to hear, but I'd say this does not apply anymore.
    I bought new tyres yesterday form an independent fitter with a good reputation.

Even if he sorted you out once you complained, I'd call such fitter just a chancer. 9/10 wouldn't come back. Brilliant way to do business for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

I know of a garage that bought up all the good tyres off a car breaker yard to sell as new so be very careful where you buy your tyres.

Advertisement