Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre and post run nutrition

Options
  • 29-10-2014 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Go running early in mornings before work, usually anytime between 6-7 am depending on distance, normally get up and go out running on an empty stomach

What if anything should I take before going out and I have heard that a glass of chocolate milk is good straight after a run

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Go running early in mornings before work, usually anytime between 6-7 am depending on distance, normally get up and go out running on an empty stomach

What if anything should I take before going out and I have heard that a glass of chocolate milk is good straight after a run

Thanks for any advice
    Hi Charliebull, everyone's mileage will vary (if you'll forgive the pun) but at that time in the morning, I'd be trying to avoid eating anything, as you'd have a heightened risk of stomach issues on your run. I'll always drink 500-800ml of water and if I have time, a cup of coffee (more for the wakefulness than any other reason). Also, I really like coffee. Also, it helps you go to the toilet. :)

After your run, the best thing you can eat is food. Real food. If you don't have access to Real food, then by all means, a chocolate milk drink will help with recovery, as it contains carbohydrates, protein and fat in good ratios.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Hi Charliebull, everyone's mileage will vary (if you'll forgive the pun) but at that time in the morning, I'd be trying to avoid eating anything, as you'd have a heightened risk of stomach issues on your run. I'll always drink 500-800ml of water and if I have time, a cup of coffee (more for the wakefulness than any other reason). Also, I really like coffee. Also, it helps you go to the toilet. :)

After your run, the best thing you can eat is food. Real food. If you don't have access to Real food, then by all means, a chocolate milk drink will help with recovery, as it contains carbohydrates, protein and fat in good ratios.

Thanks Krusty, yea anything from 8-12 k depending on mood, will drink a bit of water so before heading out

yes i have had a few close shaves with the toilet,:) so always go now before heading out

yes can have breakfast after run, usually do as well as choclate drink

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I usually run early in the morning, between 6-7.30, eat nothing before hand.
    Afterwards if running to work i stop off at Starbucks beside the office and get a skinny mocha and have porridge in work.

If at home it be coffee and some toast with jam, but if i dont have time, ie heading some where with the kids it be coffee and danish in centra!!

Wish i could control myself better

Advertisement