Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHS Stage 1

Options
  • 28-10-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I have been toying around with a few ideas for getting formally trained in all things equine, I think I am going to start with trying to get my BHS exams or at least the first one.

So I am wondering if anyone has experience with doing these exams?
    For the stage 1 I am planning on going it alone, getting the material and learning everything the 'correct' way, has anybody experience doing it this way?

I have been riding on and off since I could hold my head up so I am not a beginner but I have never tried to get any formal training apart from my D exams in pony club.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

My only advice would be - sure go and learn all the material yourself - if you are quite experienced most of the stage 1 should be common sense BUT I would not go into the exam without having one or two sessions or at least a pre-exam with a credited Equestrian Exam Centre. The main reason being that the BHS exams are all very set in their ways - things are done in a very specific order - it's like the driving test in a way - you have to learn have to drive the way the examiner wants you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

Do everything the correct and long way, not just the way we always do it. That makes sense.
    Do you know if any schools around Dublin do a pre exam?
    Would that be common enough.?

Where abouts in Dublin are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭mystika121

I would be interested in doing a pre-assessment in the Wicklow / Dublin area.

Also, is there any evening classes or Saturday morning tuition available that would be geared toward Stage 1 and 2.

@bob1984 I'm currently based in rathgar.

@mystika121 if there was something we could possibly pair up and do it? Might be cheaper / easier with a bit of company.

• Advertisement

The main one the springs to mind for South Dublin/Wicklow would be Brennanstown - some locals to the area may know of other options but it would at least be worth giving them a call?

Thanks for the reply bob1984. I had phoned Brennanstown before and they could only offer term riding which was going to be very expensive.

emma-fly that's a great idea to pair up! I watched the Stage 1 dvd last night and it seems that the riding section is the most difficult part to pass. Some semi private lessons geared towards Stage 1 would be great. I can post you the Stage 1 dvd to watch if you don't mind posting it back.

Oh that is very generous, I will take you up on that offer...

I'll email calliaghstown and rathfarnham to see if they have anything a but more reasonable.
    Not sure if they even offer that kind of training though..

Where abouts are you based..?

That would be great if somewhere could do an assessment and then we can work on what areas need bringing up to standard. Anywhere around Wicklow and Dublin is fine with me.

Just PM your address and I will send you the DVD.

These are the next exam dates in Ireland from the BHS website -

15/12/2014 CLONSHIRE EQUESTRIAN CENTRE
    Co Limerick -
    00 353 61 396770

16/12/2014 CLONSHIRE EQUESTRIAN CENTRE
    Co Limerick -
    00 353 61 396770

24/02/2015 KILDALTON COLLEGE
    Co Kilkenny -
    00 353 51 644400

03/03/2015 CALLIAGHSTOWN EQUESTRIAN CENTRE
    Co Dublin -
    00 353 1458 8322

07/04/2015 BRENNANSTOWN RIDING SCHOOL LTD
    Co Wicklow -
    00 353 1 2863778

Emailed the schools, waiting to hear back, will let you know as soon as they get back to me.
    Will PM you details now also.

• Advertisement

This is from the Calliaghstown facebook page from August 2014 - Looks promising!

Date for your diary! BHS Stage 1 & 2 Mock Exam Day on the 18th August & 1st September. Those of you interested please contact yard for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Rathfarnham dont do BHS Training. Emma you'll fly the riding no bother. Just be conscious of how you do up your girth, fix your stirrups etc when in the saddle, and how you carry your stick.

The most important bits to be aware of are the practical bits - when I did mine, they were really pedantic about everything being done correctly, and sometimes it will go against what you know as a seasoned horsey person! I was given a rug for my horse, and I told them that it was too small for the horse - one examiner said "put it on anyway so we can see how you put rugs on", and then when the second examiner came up she gave out to me for putting a rug on that was too small...

Just double check all the tack, make sure the horse is tied up correctly. When the tack is on check it again! There are BHS DVDs that go through the exam in detail too. I didn't do any pre-exam test BUT I was working in Clonshire at the time so they helped me out.

EDIT: One other thing I would say - if you are doing a pre-exam test, try to do it in the centre where you are going to do your Stage 1, or even go for a few lessons there in advance so you know your way around!

What did you end up doing with the blanket?

Lots of great tips there Ah_yeah! Ill be sure to remember them when I go home this weekend and try to practice. My family will think I have gone nuts.

I think your right about doing it in a center you can visit and practice in before hand, was thinking about doing it in Clonshire and getting lessons in Dublin but probably best to do it all in one place.

Do you know if the exam dates on the BHS website are set in stone or could more dates pop up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

emma-fly wrote: »
    What did you end up doing with the blanket?

Lots of great tips there Ah_yeah! Ill be sure to remember them when I go home this weekend and try to practice. My family will think I have gone nuts.

I think your right about doing it in a center you can visit and practice in before hand, was thinking about doing it in Clonshire and getting lessons in Dublin but probably best to do it all in one place.

Do you know if the exam dates on the BHS website are set in stone or could more dates pop up?

I just pointed at the first examiner and said I flagged it that it was too small and that she told me to put it on so my ability to put on a rug could be tested. She vouched for me! But the second examiner was still adamant that I shouldn't have put it in :rolleyes: I passed anyway so no harm :)

The staff in Clonshire are lovely and really helpful, you could always stay down and do it the night before or something? The horses are also great down there so you're picking a great place.

I think that they do add more dates but it depends how close/far from the date you are. If it's in the next few months probably not - but ring them!

Advertisement