Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire TV

Options
  • 28-10-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else on here purchased the recently released Amazon Fire TV?

I recently got mine, and whilst purchasing, had the intentions of installing XBMC on it.

However, I see that there now may be some issues with adding XBMC onto the Fire TV due to the latest firmware updates.

See here: http://www.aftvnews.com/xbmc-kodi-incompatible-with-fire-tv-software-version-51-1-40_user_514005520/

I haven't even turned on my new Fire TV as of yet now, as I'm a little worried that it will automatically update to the latest firmware thus rendering the possibility of installing XMBC on it futile.

Anyone here using an Amazon Fire TV with XMBC running on it? How are you getting on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Moyglish wrote: »
    Has anyone else on here purchased the recently released Amazon Fire TV?

I recently got mine, and whilst purchasing, had the intentions of installing XBMC on it.

However, I see that there now may be some issues with adding XBMC onto the Fire TV due to the latest firmware updates.

See here: http://www.aftvnews.com/xbmc-kodi-incompatible-with-fire-tv-software-version-51-1-40_user_514005520/

I haven't even turned on my new Fire TV as of yet now, as I'm a little worried that it will automatically update to the latest firmware thus rendering the possibility of installing XMBC on it futile.

Anyone here using an Amazon Fire TV with XMBC running on it? How are you getting on?

I got my fire tv last friday, plugged it in on Saturday and let it update itself. I then sideloaded gotham 1.3.3 and its working perfectly since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JackChill

Does it work here?
    Amazon says its available only for customers living in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Got mine on Friday as well, it auto updates so you dont have a choice

No issues with side loading a good few apps

Dont really like it to be honest, so ahve it on adverts or going to return

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

A major turn off for me is the fact that it doesn't play from external hard drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

What do you do to get it to play despite the restrictions? VPN? DNS Proxy? How does it rate compared to Apple TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

Look at eyeondemand.com for a review. DNS settings can be set on the device so you don't have to do it on the router. And you can mix and install apps from the different amazon.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I got one of these today in Argos.

I had originally planned to get a roku stick in Currys but they didn't have them.
    So I took the chance. :(
    I'm not sure why these are being made available in Ireland.
    None of the Amazon services video or audio can be used here.

Also, there isn't a proper Youtube app and I imagine it will never allow Youtube purchased content. The app choice is limited as well. Basically I can only use it for Netflix, Hulu and some of the free streaming services.

I'm assuming a lot of people are just getting them as an XBMC device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I had originally planned to get a roku stick in Currys but they didn't have them.

Also, there isn't a proper Youtube app and I imagine it will never allow Youtube purchased content. The app choice is limited as well. Basically I can only use it for Netflix, Hulu and some of the free streaming services.

I got it for the Amazon content but to use as XBMC. I got rid of it after 2 days. None of the Amazon stuff would work even thou your supposed to have 30 days free. And it was very cumbersome to get XBMC linked. Rather my standard Android bx

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

Isn't there a netflix app for it? have a look at eyeondemand.com for getting the most out of your firebox.

Isn't there a netflix app for it? have a look at eyeondemand.com for getting the most out of your firebox.

Yeah, there's a Netflix app. I'll take a look at that site. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I use mine for netflix and xbmc, i love it.

I side loaded xmbc and another launcher on to it which is a lot better than the default one.
    I also have an unblockUS account. I added their servers as the DNS for Hulu and as a bonus the Amazon prime video now works fine :D.

I'll keep an eye out for a root hack on the firmware version I'm using. I want to get the play store on there.

Advertisement