Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E36 Climate Control Computer

Options
  • 28-10-2014 2:19pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hey folks.

So the climate control computer on my E36 has been acting up. It keeps turning itself on and off intermittently. It seems like it's a somewhat common problem caused by a dodgy capacitor on the computer's circuit board. I bought a replacement capacitor for the princely sum of six cent and installed it over the weekend. It was a fiddly job not made easier by BMW's gratuitous use of a lacquer all over the circuit board (what's the story with that?). Anyway, it seems I made a hames of it as now the computer no longer works at all. Hey, it was worth trying for six cent.

Now I'm in the market for a replacement computer. The sticker on mine lists "8362273" as the part number. There's a few on eBay, but there's even more listings for "8379521", which looks completely identical and is also described as an E36 climate control computer. The listings for the latter are also considerably cheaper, but I don't know if they're cross-compatible.

Can anyone guide me on this one?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Just thought I'd update this in case it benefits other people at some point.

It turns out the first part number in my post above is the original BMW part, and the second part number is a remanufactured BMW unit. There is no compatibility issue. I ordered a second-hand remanufactured unit and it arrived this morning. I plugged it in and it works perfectly. Just one snag: the replacement unit doesn't have an AUC function, whereas my original did. That's a little bit annoying, but I can live without it. I'm going to bring my original unit into an electronics workshop at some point in the hope that they can solve my botched DIY job.

Advertisement