Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw 320d service Tallaght

Options
  • 28-10-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

have been quoted €190 for a service.
    Just a basic service with oil change, filters etc.

Is this a resonable price?

Anyone know of anywhere cheaper in the tallaght area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

I have a 318ci and I get it done for 70, just oil and filter and top up of fluids. Family mechanic so might be doing it for a few quid cheaper. Its in laois tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I used these for a timing belt and brakes and they were a good price. Just off belgard road.

http://www.carmaintenance.ie/our-prices/

I'd ring as website prices can be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

monkey8 wrote: »

Absolute rip off if you ask me!

I buy my own Oil and Filters from my local motor factors for ~€65 ... and that is me buying the most expensive top quality oil (Castrol Edge)

I then bring my car down to a local trusted Independent garage and give them €30 to carry out the service.

So, ~ €95 all-in and I have supplied my own Quality oil and can see the work being done.

So yeah, €190 seems very steep considering you don't even know what oil they are using and it was probably bought in bulk at a heavily discounted price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

monkey8 wrote: »

What year is the 320D and what kind of service were you quoted for?

What year is the 320D and what kind of service were you quoted for?

Op mentions its just a basic service with oil and filters :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

ION08 wrote: »
    Op mentions its just a basic service with oil and filters :eek:

Yes but which filters? If it is oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter and cabin filter on a pre 08 320D than €190 is relatively cheap IMO because the fuel and air filters are very labour intensive to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Absolute rip off if you ask me!

I buy my own Oil and Filters from my local motor factors for ~€65 ... and that is me buying the most expensive top quality oil (Castrol Edge)

I then bring my car down to a local trusted Independent garage and give them €30 to carry out the service.

So, ~ €95 all-in and I have supplied my own Quality oil and can see the work being done.

So yeah, €190 seems very steep considering you don't even know what oil they are using and it was probably bought in bulk at a heavily discounted price.

First of all Castrol Edge is not top quality oil..... Royal Purple is top quality oil. Secondly the BMW will take around 6L so you will new two 4 litre containers instead of one if buying it that way

rex-x wrote: »
    First of all Castrol Edge is not top quality oil..... Royal Purple is top quality oil. Secondly the BMW will take around 6L so you will new two 4 litre containers instead of one if buying it that way

Of course it is. It is classed as premium oil and priced as such as opposed to Halfords own brand or sone other unheard of name. Its 507 spec and priced accordingly at €50~. My point being that I could easily have gotten a different brand for €35.

Didnt know how many litres a 320d takes, but didnt expect it to be 6 considering my A4 TDI which is a similar car only takes 3.8l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Of course it is. It is classed as premium oil and priced as such as opposed to Halfords own brand or sone other unheard of name. Its 507 spec and priced accordingly at €50~. My point being that I could easily have gotten a different brand for €35.

Didnt know how many litres a 320d takes, but didnt expect it to be 6 considering my A4 TDI which is a similar car only takes 3.8l

Its probably middle of the road at best with regards to oil, very serviceable but couldn't be described as top quality.
    I also don't know of many garages that would fit your oil fuel and air filters along with your own supplied oil for 30 quid, I know I wouldn't :confused:
    €190 is not unreasonable if it includes the above.

rex-x wrote: »
    Its probably middle of the road at best with regards to oil, very serviceable but couldn't be described as top quality.
    I also don't know of many garages that would fit your oil fuel and air filters along with your own supplied oil for 30 quid, I know I wouldn't :confused:
    €190 is not unreasonable if it includes the above.

Ah yeah. I mean its not gonna be an oil conniseours top choice, theres better out there like liqui moli or royal purple as youve mentioned but my point was that its more than likely better than what the garage "could" be putting into it and at leadt you have your choice and could go even cheaper if you wanted to!

As for the garage, I was lucky to find a decent local indy garage who look after me and even let me stand around and poke my nose in and inspect the car while its on the ramp. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

pippip wrote: »
    I used these for a timing belt and brakes and they were a good price. Just off belgard road.

http://www.carmaintenance.ie/our-prices/

I'd ring as website prices can be off.

Seconded, genuine guy and great with BMW's & VAG stuff, ex Maxwell Motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

Have you ever considered investing in a set of car ramps, will save you quite a few quid in the long term. Will also guarantee that job has been done right., if you were to do the maintenance yourself. An oil. filter change is a very easy task too.

Advertisement