Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting paid nearer to weekend

Options
  • 28-10-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

Most jobs pay on Thursdays/Fridays (or last Friday in month in my case).

I was just thinking. Would it be a good idea to do it on (say) A Monday where we are less likely to splash the case on sh1t we don't need. Might solve alot of peoples problems with debt.

The devil makes work for idle hands (the 9-5 Monday-Friday sort I'm talking about here obviously).

What do you think? Personally I think i'd be more inclined to mind the money the last weekend of the month. Much less buying sh1t we don't need would result in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

If you're a responsible adult it shouldn't matter when you get paid. If you can't get through the weekend without spending your mortgage money on crap then you have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

If you're a responsible adult it shouldn't matter when you get paid. If you can't get through the weekend without spending your mortgage money on crap then you have a problem.

Captain sensible....

I'm with you OP, but...Monday nights are great nights for drinking too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I think by that measurement, alot of people have problems. My thinking is that not having the option to spend at own discretion helps one make the right choice.

The bills do get paid btw, just don't put away as much cash as i might otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

yes, great idea, business choosing when they pay us for "our own good" >.>

How about they also take a stipend for lunch and dinner and give us the food, so we can't eat crap either.

We'll waste less! :pac:
    ____
    OP, if you can't control your money, set up 2 accounts, and split your wages into them. Have one account, like the credit union, so that it's a little more awkward to get to.
    Alternatively, split your wages and put half into the post office, also a little more awkward to take out again. Cards make it easy, but if you're the kind to spend everything you have. splitting it so that it's "out of sight, out of mind", will probably work for you.

yes, great idea, business choosing when they pay us for "our own good" >.>
    They already choose. Just the choice is usually at end of week. Do you think its us who choose?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Or you could give your money to your mother and she can hand it out as you need it because you are incapable of managing one or 2 weeks worth of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

They already choose. Just the choice is usually at end of week. Do you think its us who choose?

The point is they aren't choosing because "this is best for you". I'm well able to choose what's best for me, don't need an employer to do that.

Many employers pay on wednesdays, and I knew someone once who get paid on Mondays. I don't know why they choose to pay as they do, but I'd rather them choose for monetary reasons/or "ease", then because they think they know what's best for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The sooner schools teach things such as household management and how to boil spuds and forget about irrelevant subjects such as Maths and Science the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Mondays are the second best day of the week for a session after Sunday imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

The sooner schools teach things such as household management and how to boil spuds and forget about irrelevant subjects such as Maths and Science the better.

They already do. It's called Home Economics and teachers of it have been calling on the government for nigh on ten years to make it compulsory at junior cert level but to no avail, they have a golden opportunity with the new junior cert (JCSA) to make even modules of it - household budgeting, basic cookery skills,basic nutrition & healthy eating - compulsory but again are choosing not to do so. A former minister of education was able to call for history to be made compulsory but she herself refused to make Home Economics compulsory when she had the chance. Go figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I was just thinking. Would it be a good idea to do it on (say) A Monday where we are less likely to splash the case on sh1t we don't need. Might solve alot of peoples problems with debt.

I think it may help some people as they may be less inclined to impulse buy and clear the bills etc especially if you want to go out at the weekend.

I worked in a job when I was a younger man, where I used to get paid on a Tuesday. I really liked that as I sorted all my bills and shopping and necessities on Tuesday and then left over cash was all disposable income, meaning I can get to enjoy the weekend without worrying about money for the upcoming week and I'd know that my next payday was just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

People who advocate a high level of state interference just seem to have no concept of the laws of supply and demand. If Monday became the pay day then people would just get pissed on Monday night which would result in a loss of productivity due to sore heads, which in turn would lead to business' making people work on the weekend and giving them Tuesday as a day off.
    The problem with having the state dictate peoples lives is that it relies on the premise that man is flawed and needs the guidance of the state. However the state is composed of men so the inherent flaw still remains due to human nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

OP haven't you heard of Monday Club? The temptation is always there. Keep your money and pay your bills and then go mad with whatever's left.

The problem with having the state dictate peoples lives is that it relies on the premise that man is flawed and needs the guidance of the state. However the state is composed of men so the inherent flaw still remains due to human nature.

Some people are fukcing idiots though. There's a certain amount of state control needed in these cases. The man who spends all his money on junk so that he won't have any left to spend it on his kids/debts needs to at least be encouraged to do the right thing in small subtle ways.

The inherent flaw you mention is indeed a moving target so yes it's not black and white and proof of any pudding is in the eating.

Its the same way they introduced the 9% service industry VAT rate. Very very few hotels and restaurants bother to pass on their saving to consumers/staff. I'd kill for the state to intervene here and tell them to GFY.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Some people are fukcing idiots though. There's a certain amount of state control needed in these cases. The man who spends all his money on junk so that he won't have any left to spend it on his kids/debts needs to at least be encouraged to do the right thing in small subtle ways.

The inherent flaw you mention is indeed a moving target so yes it's not black and white and proof of any pudding is in the eating.

Its the same way they introduced the 9% service industry VAT rate. Very very few hotels and restaurants bother to pass on their saving to consumers/staff. I'd kill for the state to intervene here and tell them to GFY.

The case you mention about the man who spends all his money luxuries and ignores the needs of his family is a fair point but then again if he is that selfish and irresponsible he would still squander his money regardless of pay day. Most likely down the bookies on Monday. It still goes back to supply and demand, and human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Many employers pay on wednesdays, and I knew someone once who get paid on Mondays. I don't know why they choose to pay as they do, but I'd rather them choose for monetary reasons/or "ease", then because they think they know what's best for us

Dunno.. I get paid on a date at the end of the month regardless of what day it is.

Only time it'd be in early is if that day happens to be a Monday that month (so the cash shows in my a/c Saturday morning)

First thing I always do anyway is log on to the Online Banking and pay my rent, loan, other bills etc. Lot less temptation to go mad when you spend about 1500 in 5 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I would have thought most jobs pay Monthly on a given date and if it falls on a weekend its the friday before

In fairness you can lead the horse to water but you can't make him/her drink.

I know a couple who collect their money on a Monday. He pisses it away on beer all week while sitting in front of the Playstation everyday, playing C.O.D. & shouting at the kids to get out of the way.

Then come Thursday (mostly) or Friday he's looking for a lend for cans/pints with the lads, off the lads. Now I know there are good people who look after bills and kids etc as a primary "expense" but this guy... No way.

I reckon they'd be in the same situation if regardless of what day they get paid and I know there are soo many other levels as to why he is this way and he's wrong on every other level but I'm just siting it as an example to no matter when you get paid there are those out there who won't make a blind bit of difference when they get paid.

Is he 13?

nelly17 wrote: »
    Is he 13?

Is who 13?

• Advertisement

[HTML]He pisses it away on beer all week while sitting in front of the Playstation everyday, playing C.O.D. & shouting at the kids to get out of the way.
    [/HTML]

nelly17 wrote: »
    [HTML]He pisses it away on beer all week while sitting in front of the Playstation everyday, playing C.O.D. & shouting at the kids to get out of the way.
    [/HTML]

No he's 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Most jobs pay on a set date every month, regardless of when it falls.

When I get paid, I transfer the following months creche fees (even though I'm paying two weeks early each time) and rent, and I clear any outstanding bills (even if I'm paying them early.) I do this on payday, and then assess how I stand financially for the rest of the month. It makes zero difference if payday happens to be a Monday or a Friday - I do all payments on mobile banking, on the train en route to work that day. I don't give myself time to get into debt - the money is gone from my account the day it goes in.

Prioritising your spending is one of the basics of being an adult ...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I get paid on the 28th of each month. Anything that was left over from the previous month gets moved into savings. Every week after I get paid, a certain amount is transferred into a joint account I share with my wife, for household expenses. I know how much is coming out each week, so I've an idea of what I will be spending each month. Time to start re-examining how you spend money! You don't need a calculator and a spreadsheet, but it's important to keep an eye on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I don't understand how people find it so difficult. You have rent, bills and food. Rent is X a month, for bills I just put aside the same amount each week, I have an idea how much food will cost, a bit extra for a take away or lunch sometime and then just take it away from what I get in.

I think it makes a difference in the case of welfare for some (a lot of payments come on Wednesday for instance). They pay most payments weekly instead of monthly. Even though the cost to the state would be less by paying monthly, they know that many recipients would waste it straight away.

Advertisement