Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with me?

Options
  • 28-10-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Okay, this isn't so much as a log but more like a question and hopefully some guidance.

I took up running in March doing the typical Couch to 5k plan.
    By now I have completed 2 Half Marathons with a time of 2.13 and 2.10.

The last 3 weeks I have been completely demotivated. I get ready to go out and plan to do a 9mile run, and after 6 I just stop and walk.It's not that my legs are tired but in that moment I just basically couldn't be bothered.

I tried changing the route but that only got me so far.
    Also the hill I was able to run up all of the sudden seems to be come a mountain....

I am upset over it. I don't want to lose my fitness, yet I can't seem to push myself.
    I am half afraid to signed up for my next Half Marathon (which would be in 4 weeks) incase and totally fail on it and have a horrible time.I know that would get me very down and I would end up being depressed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I moved this to the main forum for you, you will probably get more replies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

What is a typical week day by day on what you do and what are the paces you run each of these sessions at? It sounds like you are running too fast and you are getting run down. Happens to us all. I used to train on a hilly route. I would find my easy pace on the flat using macmillian calculator after a few days off. I would then run at this pace using a heart rate monitor. Then when I went back to running on the hills I would try to keep my heart rate to the same level as the easy pace was on the flat. It may mean walking or stopping at times but over time you'd get the hang of it. (I should do more of that)

10:15 - 11:07 would be your easy pace
    10:18 - 11:31 would be your long run pace

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

There's nothing wrong with you,
    It happens loads of people, they lose motivation. Have you been following a plan since the c25k?
    Why not look up a 12 week half marathon plan and try break 2:10? It'll give you something to aim for in the medium term. Also make sure your easy runs are just that, the last thing you want now is to be just running for the sake of running it'll just compound the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Im certainly in no position to be giving running advice but that happened to me in the summer....I was running 3 6k runs and a long run at the wekends....I ended up sitting on a grassy hill one day asking why the eff am I doing this to myself. I got up after a few minutes and continued but I took a couple of weeks off. I think I was just exhausted.

Im no where near half marathon status....but since that break I got my mojo back and absolutely love running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

SusanneKn wrote: »
    Okay, this isn't so much as a log but more like a question and hopefully some guidance.

The last 3 weeks I have been completely demotivated. I get ready to go out and plan to do a 9mile run, and after 6 I just stop and walk.It's not that my legs are tired but in that moment I just basically couldn't be bothered.

Also the hill I was able to run up all of the sudden seems to be come a mountain....

I am upset over it. I don't want to lose my fitness, yet I can't seem to push myself.
    I am half afraid to signed up for my next Half Marathon (which would be in 4 weeks) incase and totally fail on it and have a horrible time.I know that would get me very down and I would end up being depressed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you done any other races other than a half marathon? Maybe another distance (5k, 5mile, 10k) might be nice? Bit of variety might be good, and could help you set different goals for the the coming year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Week off, hagen daz (have a salad before it if you feel guilty) on saturday night. Then do a week with short runs, do them as quick as you can and you'll feel great. I've been doing that for years on the bad weeks.

After that setting a new goal will do the trick. If the half marathon doesn't feel right think of doing the goal mile at christmas or maybe a BHAA cross country. There's usually a cup of tea and biscuits at the end, well worth the effort!

You didn't mention if you run with others. Solo runs are good, but not all the time so if you haven't, try to rope someone in to join you on one or two of your runs. Better yet join a club!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Is it a case that you have done too much too soon? I know a good few people who went from couch to 5 k and on to half marathon and marathon in the same year and ended up quitting running because of it. Try taking a week off running. When you start back forget about distances and times. Slow down and Try and take in your surroundings as you run. In my opinion take the pressure of yourself and forget about the half marathon. Find a running partner if you dont have one. I do 75% of my runs solo but running with people can make training fly by and motivate you to get the job done! I will probably be crucified for saying this on here (given the long distance love bandied about! ) maybe concentrate on 10k and 5k for a year or two and keep training consistently. There should be no rush to move up to half marathon until your body adapts to consistent training.
    Another thing to consider is is running for you? Some people realise it's not for them and get their fitness and their buzz from alternative forms of exercise.
    We all go through periods when running can become a slog. Don't lose hope. Take that week rest and build again slowly in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,770 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Do you think that your heart and desire is in it? Sounds like it is not.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

When you start running, its a steep curve of improvement, you get much better, fast. After a while this levels out, and gains are harder to come by. Couple that with the fact that we all have natural ups and downs over the course of a year, and its to be expected that you have a down time like this. Id imagine youve had a singular focus for quite a time, and it might just be that youre tired and need to shift it a bit, shake things up. The 'couldnt be bothered' attitude could be indicative of being burnt out.

Also have a look at how the rest of your life is going. Stresses in other areas (work/family) will show in your motivation and training.

Take a break from actual training. This doesnt mean you have to stop, but you do need to remove any pressure to perform. Run for fun, no clocks, distances, or paces. Try another exercise for variety. Go easy on yourself, kick back and eat pizza if you want, invest in non sporting parts of your life. :) Give it a few weeks of this down time, and see if the love comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Have you tried running off-road?

Not just talking parks: forest trails, beaches, hills and mountains. PLaces like Howth, Dublin Hills, or just going off piste in sta annes or the phoenix park etc.

Running can become 2 dimentional. When youre not motivated. heaidng out in the dark to work hard. add a run or two off-road, youll have beautiful views, wild smells through the nostrils, different sounds. Its always a pleasure..and it adds richness to any run.

If youre interested give the general area where you train and im sure people will be able to suggest different routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Hi guys.
    Thank you so much for all the advice.
    I took a lot of it on board and went for a jog today.
    I changed the route a little bit, my playlist and left the Garmin Watch at home.
    Anyway, I did 7 miles no problem today and even that hill was manageable again
    I have decided that I won't run for a specific time anymore. I think all that trying to be on pace put me too much under pressure and I didn't enjoy running anymore.
    I will just run for fun again, rather then time.

So thanks again.You're all great!

Advertisement