Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you sandpaper (scuff) darts

Options
  • 28-10-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have a set of peter wrights. The multi coloured ones. I've used them regularly for the last 3/4 years and the coating has worn off.
    The problem now is they have started slipping out of my hand while I am throwing.
    Examples: left 36 with one dart in my hand and the dart slipped and landed in abig 6. The lad I was playing took out a shot on the bull and won the game.
    Another one was where I had left 85 and went for t15 and again the dart slipped and landed in the rubber ring. This time tho, I got away with it and won the match.

It happens regularly at home aswel.

Now, what I was thinking was to put the darts in my lathe and run sandpaper up and down it to try put a biy of grip back on them.
    Can this be done or will it just destroy the darts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

I would say it would destroy the darts. You would be taking off the protective coating they is on the darts that prevents rust and in the long run will destroy the darts.
    I use Mighty Grip and a bit of wax I find that gives me a great grip, Darts corner have the stuff. Or Ebay sell the stuff Simon Whitlock uses, that’s why he is always blowing his fingers!!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/WIZARD-MIGHTY-GRIP-POWDER-Prevents-fingers-Slipping-As-used-by-Simon-Whitlock-/221267248162?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Darts&hash=item33848e4422

http://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=62099

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

+1

I find the wax grip stuff works really well. I use a set of 19g with a smooth barrel, just 3 grooves around them and without the wax I'm screwed

I would say that if you get one of the wax grips keep it in your pocket for a few days to get it a bit scored up. when you get it initially the wax doesn't transfer so easily until it's been used a bit

Alternately to buying some I think I read someone on here say previously that candle wax is the exact same and he used one of those little circular tea-light candles you put in lamps and that workes a treat...worth a shot at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

GK1001 wrote: »
    +1

I find the wax grip stuff works really well. I use a set of 19g with a smooth barrel, just 3 grooves around them and without the wax I'm screwed

I would say that if you get one of the wax grips keep it in your pocket for a few days to get it a bit scored up. when you get it initially the wax doesn't transfer so easily until it's been used a bit

Alternately to buying some I think I read someone on here say previously that candle wax is the exact same and he used one of those little circular tea-light candles you put in lamps and that workes a treat...worth a shot at the very least

That was me that posted about the tealight’s candles. I found if you take the candle out of the silver bit then remove the wick and just melt them down and pour back into the silver foil you get a better grip than just using it straight from the foil.

I also found the grips you buy online from the darts shops are rubbish, they break way to easily and for the price if two of them you can but a bag of 100 tealights in woodies for €5

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

haha brilliant I knew I seen it on here...in fairness I got 2 of those red wax things on darts corner a couple of years ago and I still have some bits left...as I say I'm lost without them. You're right that they do break up though...when they're gone I'm defo going down that candle route!

PLaying tonight with my mates...sitting in here now and can't wait 6 hours of solid darts and 3.20 pints to look forward to!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nanastick

Get a bag of darter rosin. I am the same as you with slippage. I find it brilliant stuff. Better than wax. I dont have to keep applying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I bought a new set of the exact same darts and the grip is great.
    I think the old set had just passed their use by date ;)
    The colour had completely faded and they feel almost smooth aswel now whereas the new ones have vibrant colours and a great grip on them.

Advertisement