Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biting your nails

Options
  • 28-10-2014 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

I have/had lovely manicured hands and nails, but last night for no particular reason I bit every one of them right down, even my thumps, They are killing me now and look absolutely vile,

Anyone else ever do this and what the hell came over me :-( sad & sore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Were you hungry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

That's how it starts OP.

Last night you were chewing on your fingers and this time next week you'll have a German engineer in your freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,474 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

realies wrote: »
    I have/had lovely manicured hands and nails, but last night for no particular reason I bit every one of them right down, even my thumps, They are killing me now and look absolutely vile,

Anyone else ever do this and what the hell came over me :-( sad & sore

Used to bite my nails all the time (never had manicured hands/nails though) and decided i was going to stop. Bought stop n grow from chemist, like a nail polish but tastes like (WHAT I IMAGINE) dog **** rolled in horse **** rolled in camel **** would taste like.

http://www.boots.com/en/Stop-Grow-Stop-Biting_884/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Just stop. Next time you're about to do it, stop and think of what you're doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Sounds like stress, biting one down to the nub because you found a crack around the edge and just went to far (which is probably how it started) would be one thing but the fact that you did one and then moved to another and another suggests you were getting a sense of release from it. Its kinda like when people cut themselves or pull out lumps of their hair when they are stressed but just not to the same extreme. Now I'm not saying that you are going to move from this to cutting yourself or anything I just mean they all have the same psychological effect and release the same endorphins.

You need to find some way to relax and whatever you do don't keep looking at them and thinking things like "It's going to take ages now for them to grow back, I'm a ****ing eejit" or **** like that because it is counter productive and will only make things worse. Just accept that you have done it and that they will grow back and go to the chemist and get an emery board, a buffer and this stuff called Nu Nale (pronounced "New nail", it will strengthen them as they are growing back with the added advantage that it tastes like crap) and, instead of going down the negative route of making it worse by biting them more, look after them instead until they do grow back, it will work as a distraction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yep, I'm a nail biter, I also use my own clippings as tooth picks.

My wife tells me it's a disgusting habit, but I don't care.

Top tip, nails from the big toe in particular work really well with things like steak. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Folks thanks for all your helpfull comments,

But I ain't stressed , I enjoying my holidays back home, and well it felt so good once I started I just couldn't stop and its lucky I coundent reach down to my toes I telll ya.

Anyway back to growing them again I have learned my lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yep, I'm a nail biter, I also use my own clippings as tooth picks.

My wife tells me it's a disgusting habit, but I don't care.

Top tip, nails from the big toe in particular work really well with things like steak. ;)

O man ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Not so much, but I love tapping self tapping screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I can't even stand the sound of nail-biting. ~shudders~

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I don't see the major problem with biting nails :confused:
    Whats the fuss?

Nails on people are not something I'd ever look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Been doing it since I was a child my nails are in bits!

Got it from me ma watching her do it.

Tried that stuff u put on your nails doesn't work I got used to the taste ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I used to bite my nails but stopped. Its horrible! It looks horrible, can be very painful and I would imagine, very unhygienic

I tried that stuff that tastes disgusting but as above I just got used to the taste, went cold turkey in the end :)

Off the nails about 4 years now I'd say :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

I used to bite my finger nails and toenails, my fingers would be in bits always ended up pulling off loads of skin... Just stopped one day and have never been tempted since.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I closed one my fingers in a door one night by mistake and ended up with a big blood blister under the nail.

Anyway the nail fell off I bit the blister drained all blood out of it but nail doesn't grow back proper anymore so I have this mental alien finger that just happens to be my wedding finger haha something my gf always mentions!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I do it but I kinda have my limits. I wouldn't do it in public or around other people but if I was studying and my head was melted I do it unbeknownst to myself, it's either that or break lots of pens. I stopped for months at a time by just being conscious of it but in the end something usually causes me enough stress that I do it again without realising. One of those habits that's hard to get out of.
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Off the nails about 4 years now I'd say :cool:

:pac:

Advertisement