Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADHD/ ADD type

Options
  • 27-10-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

For years I've been thinking I had some sort of ADD, but I never actually did something about it or found out what kind (probably because I have ADD :D ). I recently took an online test on amenclinics.com and the result that I got was that I had Temporal lobe and Anxious types ADD. I know this was just an internet based test but the result description was pretty accurate;

"For people with this type, the core ADD symptoms are compounded by periods of mood instability, irritability and memory or learning issues. This type often also struggles with anxiety, predicts the worst and struggles to feel secure due fears of being judged."

Does anybody have this type or any other type? How do you deal with it? Is it worth a visit to the doctor to find out more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

ADD and ADHD has another name. They're called 'being human'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Listen to this guy. He's a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

gdawg87 wrote: »
    For years I've been thinking I had some sort of ADD, but I never actually did something about it or found out what kind (probably because I have ADD :D ). I recently took an online test on amenclinics.com and the result that I got was that I had Temporal lobe and Anxious types ADD. I know this was just an internet based test but the result description was pretty accurate;

"For people with this type, the core ADD symptoms are compounded by periods of mood instability, irritability and memory or learning issues. This type often also struggles with anxiety, predicts the worst and struggles to feel secure due fears of being judged."

Does anybody have this type or any other type? How do you deal with it? Is it worth a visit to the doctor to find out more?

tried doing that test....genuinely not messing....didn't finish it-got bored:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

That site is just pseudo science to sell tablets to the gullible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Blue tablets are good for that type of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Is it worth a visit to the doctor to find out more?

Not at all.
    Sure what would they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I've been clinically diagnosed with ADHD(amongst other things) by a psychiatrist, and really I've found it's one of those things that varies greatly on the severity. So for example the usual 'I procrastinate so much/get bored with my homework' jazz that you'll get a lot of people come out with doesn't really warrant any attention if you can concentrate on the things you enjoy doing. Sure you'll have to work harder to get boring things done but by definition nobody likes boring things.

I'm assuming you're an adult, in which case it'll probably be harder to get the diagnoses and if you do all you'll really get is a prescription for ritalin or whatever. Life coaches are normally recommended for people with ADHD, but they're expensive and tbh I don't know of any in Ireland. I'm sure they exist but it seems like a more American treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Surprisingly accurate, isn't it?

Or is it just like horoscopes where you have to read into them and interpret them in context with your own life the same way you read into these online diagnosis tests and interpret them in context with your own thought processes...

Go see your GP if you feel you need to for the professional opinion of someone more qualified to answer these questions than yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gdawg87

so you think it's all just a bunch of crap?

I didn't say that.

Not in so many words, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If you were paying attention to what that poster said, they didn't say that.

If you were paying attention to what that poster said, they didn't say that.

so sorry :pac: guess I find it hard to pay attention

I didn't say that.

Not in so many words, anyway.

care to share your thoughts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

so sorry :pac: guess I find it hard to pay attention

if you actually managed to complete that quiz...I think youl be alright....I don't do too bad attention wise and got bored when the 50% mark came up

*for actual proper medical diagonises go to a docter

care to share your thoughts ?

It's a bit like the gluten free craze at the moment. Most people who are affected have such a mild case that there's no issues and they fall well within normal parameters. The others (a VERY small proportion) probably have a lot more issues than just gluten intolerance/poor attention spans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

That test is to know your ADD type so it already presumes you have ADD. I took a run through it, a lot of the questions on it especially the first half are more symptomatic of anxiety and depression, some could be related to personality type, the stuff about sensitivity is typical of introverts. The questions on these kinds of tests have so many potential crossovers, even the result description could relate to so many things, it really has no merit. If something is so much of a problem that it's interfering with your day-to-day life, then you don't need a test to tell you, you have a problem, go to the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Bit of speed, and you'll be grand. It'll get ye focused, and your house will be clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

ADD is used as an excuse by bad parents to explain why their kids are little ****s.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

jugger0 wrote: »
    ADD is used as an excuse by bad parents to explain why their kids are little ****s.

Yes absolutely.

Strangely enough, the arrival of ADHD coincided with the ending of corporal punishment in schools. And Im not talking about thrashings, just the sort of ruler on the knuckles or dead arm or slap in the back of the head we used to get in the early 80s at school. ADHD was just known as boldness, and it was treated with a healthy dose of fear and drawing lines which must not be crossed.

I know some teachers who's careers transcend the 'old days' and the more modern times, where the parents of 'ADHD' kids are just as likely to assault you as support your discipline regime. None of those teachers believe in ADHD one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Try fish oils for a month and see how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yes absolutely.

Strangely enough, the arrival of ADHD coincided with the ending of corporal punishment in schools. And Im not talking about thrashings, just the sort of ruler on the knuckles or dead arm or slap in the back of the head we used to get in the early 80s at school. ADHD was just known as boldness, and it was treated with a healthy dose of fear and drawing lines which must not be crossed.

I know some teachers who's careers transcend the 'old days' and the more modern times, where the parents of 'ADHD' kids are just as likely to assault you as support your discipline regime. None of those teachers believe in ADHD one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yes absolutely.

Yes and left handed kids also get a ruler on the knuckles and forced to write with their right hand. The olden days of teaching were really great weren't they?

Do you not think that the more enlightened we get as a society, the more we learn about behavioral problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

B.O.L.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yes and left handed kids also get a ruler on the knuckles and forced to write with their right hand. The olden days of teaching were really great weren't they?

Do you not think that the more enlightened we get as a society, the more we learn about behavioral problems?

Meh i'd take lefties getting a smack over raising a generation of manner-less buffoons with no regard for authority, the more "enlightened" we get the more behavioral problems seem to appear from thin air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

o1s1n wrote: »

Which would be great if the reason for identifying them wasn't to sell lots of uneecssary potentially dangerous medication.

I am pie wrote: »
    Which would be great if the reason for identifying them wasn't to sell lots of uneecssary potentially dangerous medication.

But what about in adults?? If I discovered I had an add problem I wouldn't treat it with medication. That would be a last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm pretty sure I fall in the ADD spectrum, although I was never diagnosed. I was never a badly behaved kid and never got in trouble for being disruptive in school etc but I have ALWAYS struggled with focus/paying attention.

It's interesting to discuss- even though I feel like ADD/ADHD are used far too often to excuse bad parenting these days, I do wonder how many of us could have benefited had schools/parents taken more notice of it 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

How many kids with ADHD does it take to change a light bulb?

Let's go ride bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Yes absolutely.

That's demonstrating a lack of understand on ADHD. As children ADHD might only manifest itself as 'disruptiveness' but that's not the only symptom and when you become an adult the symptoms don't just magically go away.

Most people with ADHD(the kind that actually needs help) end up unemployed with severe relationship problems and often develop other problems as a result. Giving these kids a slap on the wrist isn't going to prevent this from happening and to suggest so is idiotic. There are good treatments available for people with ADHD, but the condition is constantly belittled by people saying that they must have it because they just can't study for their test on Shakespeare's poetry, yet they can sit down and watch their favourite movie for 100 mins no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement